Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Freeway did her in

Started by Striker1423, September 12, 2020, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Well... this was not how my night was supposed to go. Didn't have my camera on or I would have shown you the actual moment. But, I was riding home from the girlfriend's house. She's around an hour from me if you take the freeway. The ride to her place I plotted out on surface streets and got there in just under 2 hours earlier today. It's late, I'm tired and its getting dark. So, I decide to forgo the surface street fiasco's and just take the freeway. All was well for around a half hour (minus the fact that 75mph on this bike is torture, and I was fully aware of this lol).

A mustang cut in front of me and slowed down as a car in front of them braked. I rolled off the throttle pretty heavy and snapped it back open. That slow... methodical melting sound started and I immediately pulled the clutch in. Motor shut off right away as was expected. I managed to make it across 3 lanes and coast to a stop. A nice and soft kick check confirmed. Solid as a rock. Like a Chevy.

After the initial whoopsies, and choice words, I began pushing my dead soldier along the side of the freeway. About 300 feet or so before I tried the kicker by hand. Well, it rolled over... tight, but rolled over.  Waited a few more minutes and kicked it for real. She felt ok. Fired it up and happened to be on the 11 mile exit. Rode 35 to 45 mph home with the deafening slap of the right side piston. But, I do have to say the bike did indeed make it home under it's own power. Ran on both cylinders too.

I'll check it tomorrow. But, I have a feeling I ran it lean. It was around 70F. 200 mains, Dave F, 3rd position.

Arrow

Sorry to hear this Striker. Is the bike on pump or premix?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Czakky

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Evans Ward

I hate that for you but it has happened to almost all of us at one time or another. We know your Fall/ Winter project and it will be back bigger and better than ever.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

paul1478

That is a bad/expensive feeling. But seems like riding it overcomes all that when they run right.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Striker1423

Bike is indeed on the pump Arrow. As it was prone to eating oil and fouling plugs heavily, the pump cable was delayed 2mm or so. I rebuilt it when I put the engine together. Rebuilt as in new internal/external seals. Did not replace ball springs etc. 

Arrow

Please check if the minimum stroke is still within specification.

Arrow

Quote from: Striker1423 on September 13, 2020, 08:16:23 AM
Bike is indeed on the pump Arrow. As it was prone to eating oil and fouling plugs heavily, the pump cable was delayed 2mm or so. I rebuilt it when I put the engine together. Rebuilt as in new internal/external seals. Did not replace ball springs etc.
Normal oil use is approx 1 litre of oil to two tank full's if fuel, but depends very much on how you ride.

m in sc

sounds like you built up a decent amount (more than normal)  of heat in the motor on the 75 mph run, and the quick stab added just enough to stick it.  where were you throttle wise? 1/2, 3/4 for the steady run? that's where i'd look.  also, whats timing set at?

this is why it can be tricky on bikes (not nec yours in this case) with curves. if you are at max advance at cruise, it creates a lot of heat.  therefore, sometime seven with HPI setups or the like, its better to be a bit more conservative with initial timing.

sorry this happened. it always sucks.

Arrow

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the closed throttle part of the story was the cause.

m in sc

it may have been the tipping point , i agree, but that heat was there already, so it must have been on the edge.

could be that, the main, the timing, the needle, etc.

forensics time.

Striker1423

So, from what I remember, I was cruising at 75mph (within variation of 70 to 80 at times). My RPM gauge doesn't work, but the throttle was around 1/2 up to a bit over 1/2 to pass, etc. 75mph puts this bike inside the powerband and it stays there. It's very hard to hear what the bike is doing at that speed, but all seemed ok. I was on the freeway for roughly 40 miles. 

When  I rolled off the throttle, I didn't close it fully, I'd say I dropped around 1/4 throttle. Just enough to slow from 77 or so mph down to 60. It began to slow rapidly and sputter right before and as I was rolling on the throttle steadily back to half. That's when she gave up.

Arrow

Let us know what you find with the minimum stroke.

Striker1423

Quote from: Arrow on September 13, 2020, 09:43:09 AM
Let us know what you find with the minimum stroke.

The minimum stroke I see is opening about 0.35mm at idle. Turning the wheel by hand ( as the book states to do) isn't opening the pump. But, it appears  to be pumping correctly at idle.