Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Daytona

Started by cygnus, April 29, 2019, 10:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastash

I love the smell of race fuel in the morning !

RdsOnly

Wow a real Resto.
I did a few, worst a live mouse came out of the air box... My dog Bear loved it, after that he was right by my side working on bikes.
Can't share the quite pic of a white shiatsu[bear] under a r5 on the lift, Photobucket=ransomwear.

Glad to see you making progress, typical resto for me was 3-4 months, local painter...

Keep up dating

JT

cygnus

Thanks! Yeah, dogs love mice more than cats. 4 or 5 months is about right for me with the time available.

It is the original pump cable. I think the repop items thus far are the stator wiring seal/conduit, inatke manifolds, the accordion seals on the throttle linkage tops, oil tank filler tube (but I may be able to salvage the old one yet), bowl drain screw gaskets and now the fusebox. Everything else I have been finding available from Yami.

Last few years I have been doing 80's sportbikes pretty much exclusively, sacrilege I know, diesels and all  :haw:. My two favorites were the Hurrycane I built to run in the Canadian VRRA endurance class and an '86 Gsxr that was retrieved from the wreck of a 16th century spanish galleon hahahaha. Sound of that Gsxr on the pipe is enough to make you weep.

cygnus

x

cygnus

Rained today so got off at noon. Only took a few pics. Put all new seals in clutch cover and sealed her back up then filled the tranny. Hopefuly no puddles in the morning. I had left the reeds in til now to keep bugs and crud out. Pulled all that and cleaned up everything before resealing. Dribbled some oil in while it was open then rotated her over after the intake was reinstalled. Reinstalled the exhaust valve. The butterfly cage was rusted but since I didnt pull it I used the old standby Naval jelly to clean it up.....slow but works ok. Pretty pleased with how the manifolds and plumbing turned out.

cygnus

x

cygnus

Still nibbling away. Got the tire rubbed rear sub harness repaired and the mouse chewed wire repaired. I had bought a used XS400 sub harness cheap on ebay to get the correct colored wire. Got the funky pins for the 6 pin connector from Kojaycat in the UK. Carbs assembled and reinstalled.

cygnus

x

cygnus

x

cygnus

also felt spunky and buffed up the headpipes and top end a bit

cygnus

x

SUPERTUNE

Make sure you jet up a little if your going to put in *91-93 pump gas and retard the timing a little if the bike is going to be ridden.
Or mix 50/50 with 110* race gas.
When the fuels changed in the late 80's and mid '90's for fuel injected cars, the Daytona models couldn't handle it well and all blew up.

Looking really good to see someone keep it all stock on a Daytona model.
I'm just an old hotrodder and want better performance and not have to worry about the lean burn setup and hurting it on modern pump gas.
So out with the stock pipes and carbs for me!! :vroom:
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

cygnus

As a true survivor and one owner he wants to keep it that way and I don't disagree in this case. Not as much "fun" in one sense but she should be pretty pleasing as is.  :vroom: I'm just trying to help a guy out reviving his sleepy old gal to recapture a little youth and have some fun. He won't do any more than ride it to his local bike night / car show stuff and to Dairy Queen on Sunday. Honestly, he will probably putter around a bit on it and then sell it.

We have some local Phillips 66 clean 93 that works well in smokers but if it doesn't like that I'll find something canned at the local VP dealer that works for him. No more than he will run through it it wouldn't be a hassle. I had picked up some NOS points and plates and planned on asking what the timing gets set to for "safety" these days. The 400F supplement manual had 2.something as baseline but I was thinking I used to set mine at 1.9 for street riding back in the day but wisdom may have developed differently over time  ;D

I told him up front I would go through it to help him out, but, any motor work or tuning carbs he would have to farm out. I have my own stuff I want to get to this year and his rabbit hole has a depth limit hahaha. 

SUPERTUNE

Std RD400's are 2.3mm BTDC factory spec.
The U.S. '79 2V0 was at 2.4mm BTDC factory spec.
Your on the right track with timing,  up the pilot 1 size and the main one size, set timing to 1.9-1.8mm.

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

cygnus

10-4....thanks Chuck.

I tried everything I could think of to get the oil tank "white" again without using anything that might damage it. He will have to settle for nice shade of light blue. And why the mouse didnt eat that white vac port filter I dont know.....not even a chew mark.  Oil tank is plumbed up and bled. The sender was nasty coagulated but tested good after cleaned.