Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Daytona Special dual disk brakes?

Started by Daytona Z, November 11, 2019, 08:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxford

I have seen the chart but thanks for the additional info.  19mm seems to be a popular size in radial master cylinders but not so much in a conventional axial master.

Biz

I have a simple adaptor plate and FZR600 4-piston calipers with the stock master cylinder on my Daytona.  The ratio works out to about the same as stock as I recall, and I'm happy with the way it feels.  Huge improvement in braking.   You could try that and upgrade the M/C later if you don't like the feel.

Dave

SoCal250

The 1978-79 XS400 front wheel is the same as the Daytona wheel but drilled for dual disc. Both are 15mm axle
http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=65.msg11799#msg11799
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Dvsrd

FWIW, I went from the stock dual front discs to a single 320 mm ISR disc, 13 mm  Brembo master,  and a 4 piston Brembo caliper on my 77 XS650. MUCH better brakes, and 4 kg / 9 lbs less unsprung weight. Replacing the steel front fender with an alloy one saved another 1 kg/ 2 lbs. This really did wonders for the front suspension and handling.

IF going to dual discs, I would recommend looking for the lightest possible discs and calipers. That would NOT be 70s or 80s OEM Yamaha parts. Jim Lomas has some nice Brembo replica discs, 260 mm diameter. Those may be suitable for a dual disc setup.

oxford

If you want to go dual disc and stay with stock looking parts you can get the weight down quite a bit.

Here's what I did,

Stock RD 350 rotors thinned down to 5mm thick
Rotors drilled.  3/8" diameter holes, 100 holes per rotor
The disc carriers were lightened up some
TX500 front hub, pockets milled out between the rotor mounting holes
Aftermarket(stock replacement) aluminum calipers with Eric's aluminum pistons
I also deleted the speedo drive and made aluminum wheel spacers

This is still no where near as efficient for weight as a single disc setup but not as bad as just slapping a second stock rd caliper and rotor on.

Daytona Z

Thanks for all the input gentlemen.  Not sure what im going to do yet.

Daytona Z

So how about going spokes and a dual setup? It seems easier than an 18" Mag. That doesn't seem doable. Its not just for a dual disk. I always wanted spoked rims to begin with; but thought I might be able to convert the mag. I know guys have done this. Any pics and details of year hubs and forks......?????? Thanks in advance.

zedixe13

Daytona Z

Thanks! I did get some lower legs and some other parts to try it.The problem is the Daytona has an 18" mag. Getting one in a dual setup. The 650 and 550's are 19". If I go spokes I can get an 18" as wide as I need. I just would like to see some examples of what some members have done. Any pics are appreciated.

SoCal250

Quote from: Daytona Z on January 20, 2020, 09:32:55 PM
Thanks! I did get some lower legs and some other parts to try it.The problem is the Daytona has an 18" mag. Getting one in a dual setup. The 650 and 550's are 19". If I go spokes I can get an 18" as wide as I need. I just would like to see some examples of what some members have done. Any pics are appreciated.

The XS400 wheel I posted above is identical to the Daytona except it is provisioned for dual rotors. 18x1.85". Direct bolt on.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

Dvsrd

m in sc

m in sc

maybe fzr 600. anyways, i eventually moved to radian stanchions because the fzr ones were too long. and yes, 15mm axle, there was a fair amount of machining to get it right (spacers, etc).   Regardless, it was still way too much braking and the front end felt heavy with the twin discs. to the point,  when i rebuilt the forks last year i cut the lugs off the RH fork because its totally unnecessary. don't do it, its def not worth it. (the dual discs)

Daytona Z

Thats what I'm talkin bout! freakin sweat! In my looking around I never found the xs400 to have a dual disk? Guess I didn't look hard enough. Thanks for posting fellas!!!