This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Octane booster

Started by TPR5, May 03, 2023, 10:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPR5

SoCal250

Never used it. I've always heard it's not good in a 2-stroke.
If you need it, it's a sign of another problem. Buy better gas or adjust timing.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

soonerbillz

Your better off buying av gas.

m in sc

not to spark the fuel debate, but for the nth time, pump fuel is fine. I just did a very spirited lunch ride on my TZR, and its just running 93 pump fuel, with a fresh motor and 145 psi compression readings between 7-9500 most of the 30 min ride.

:olaf: :gentleman:

LMS

I had a 320whp Saab viggen, ran torco for a bit, turned plugs orange, but it did help some when I lived in cali with crap ass 91 oct. Moved to Chicago where there is 93, prob solved when running 21 psi of boost.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

1976RD400C

If you read the VP container it says to use only enough to raise the octane 1.5-2 points otherwise it can leave a coating on engine parts and do damage.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

TPR5

Ran it it in my yz dirt bikes years ago, just wondering ...

automan

Orange is from MTBE. Used for a while until new catalyst rules forbade it.(durability/poisoning) and ground water contamination

My old favorite was made in Flint,Mich. called Dura-Alt it was the second best octane booster at the time.
ANALINE.

cliff

kramdua

what is octane? is it an additive the oil company adds to the fuel or is it already part of the fuel? if it is already part of the fuel i can't see how an additive can raise the octane level. i do know that at the gas station they actually only have high test and regular. if you want mid grade they blend the 2 together to get 89 or 91. correct me if i am wrong because i am a lot. :huh:
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

different octane ratings can be achieved by additives and usually just composition of the fuel.
octane the stability of fuel under pressure situations. the lower the octane rating, the less stable it is to combust under pressure. this is why high compression motors need higher octane fuel typically, to keep them from pre ignition under the increased pressures or a combustions chambers heat before the spark event. (pinging)

fwiw, the usa and europe use 2 different methods for measuring octane.

toluene and xylene were once common octane boosters, but they will def 'wash' lubricants from parts and are hazardous, bad, to humans.

:twocents:

kramdua

great info. learn more everyday.
thanks,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

85RZwade

Also, octane is a simple hydrocarbon of 8 atoms of carbon and 18 of hydrogen. This little bit of trivia made Organic Chemistry far more interesting for me, as did a young lady named Liz. Like some of our bike parts, Liz was made of unobtanium. Alas.
I post waayyy too much

~JM~

See that orange coloration on the exhaust turbine? That's from MTBE.

kramdua

way over my head. the easy way for me is just hit the 93 button. :umm:
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.