Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

690SMCR!!!

Started by pdxjim, April 21, 2023, 08:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

id seriously consider a wideband auto tune as well. save the static map and get the at. any static map is a compromise IMHO. (no one rides on a dyno).  Use the tuned map as a base map. make the real world ride-abilty that much sweeter.

just my .02

pdxjim

Ok! 

Put about 400mi on the SMCR this past weekend.

We did a "Steak & Shake" ride up to Klickitat WA.  We split lanes, rode great twisty roads, ate massive steaks, played lots of cribbage, hung out in the steakhouse/bar and got drunk with the locals, slept on the concrete, ate a big breakfast, swam in the reservoir, more twisty roads, more cribbage and beer, and made it home by 5pm the next day.

(not me)

As I expected, the 690 is a hoot in the twisties, but not so great on the freeway unless traffic is stopped and you're splitting lanes.

As mentioned above, I was a bit dissapointed with the custom dynotune I PAID 400 BUCKS FOR, so I've been running one of the Rottweiler maps in the PC5, and have booked more time with a different dyno guy to compare the five maps I have collected, and figure out which one runs best/makes the most powa with my setup.

Yes, I may invest in an autotune module in the future, but for now will go static.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

for the money you'll spend on the dyno, get the auto tune unit. I've been down this road a few times. just my experience.

I rode the CB1100 today, was getting over 56mpg on the interstate at 70 mph. and it also just flat out rips for what it is, however, the overall rideability is super smooth, which si wehre the real value is. use the tuned map as a base map and adjust the fueling from there w the a/t. My cb has a flashed ecm and the pc and at really dial it in. had the same experiences on the grom, and (somewhat) on the ducati.     no canned map can determine how or where you ride the bike.  .02

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on June 27, 2023, 10:38:40 AMfor the money you'll spend on the dyno, get the auto tune unit. I've been down this road a few times. just my experience.

Thankfully, this dyno guy is a buddy of mine and will be cheap.

Mostly looking to determine which map to use as a base.  The four different "off the shelf" maps (2 from Dynojet, 2 from Rottweiler) all have one thing in common that my custom map lacks, and that's a lot of ignition advance.  Where these maps are bumping up 2-4* of advance, my custom map is dropping back to a degree of retard.  I suspect this is why, despite making ok power on paper, it just feels limp.

We will see tomorrow afternoon how they compare.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

pdxjim

Put about a thousand miles on the 690 this past long weekend on an annual club ride out to eastern Oregon.

Took a bit of seat time to figure out how to get the most out of it, but once i did, WHAT A RIPPA!

Although the hp/tq curves are very linear, it really responds to being ridden like a 2T.

Keep it between 5k and the, all to early 8k rev limiter and it'll keep a smile on your face.  It'll happily cruise at 90mph and I saw 120 a few times, no problem. 

m in sc

that's sweet. there a 950 local available, friend of mine has it. i've ridden it, its crazy but too tall for me.  I do have some envoy on your bike though, those are great, glad you got it sorted the way you wanted.  :thumbs: