(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Trailer Rehab

Started by 85RZwade, March 01, 2023, 01:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

They are a step up from wire nuts :dawg:  :dawg:

85RZwade

Mocking up boards, trying to get the spacing right. Looks like adding a couple of 2x8s will get me there, with 8mm spaces between boards.

I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I spent the day working on the trailer in between showers. I had some fun with the tongue.

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

How much weight will this add to the trailer? as much as i would like a wood floor, the weight for me is prohibitive ( i have a much smaller trailer as well, i do need a bigger one eventually). I just added better wheel chocks than i had on mine before. also moved the fenders out a few inches as mines not a deck-over-wheel, but it tows really nice. i can actually squeeze 2 on here, small one in middle to back.

85RZwade

The answer is "plenty"...I think you and Scott both advocated for expanded metal, but I remember a trailer my brother had that was decked with expanded metal. After a couple of years, it sagged between the supports and I felt I'd have to add supports to go that route and be happy.
Of course, I read after committing to wood about composite decking (trex), which is supposed to be lighter and last forever. Oh, well. I suspect this trailer is larger than I need, so maybe I'll try this rehab thing again next year with lessons learned.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

yes, the expanded metal will stretch, hence why i did what i did to mine. I considered marine plywood (theres another one int eh building i did that to) and its held up well for 5 years.

you should stain it some really nice rich mahogany color, maybe do some inlay work.   :dawg:

85RZwade

You overestimate my woodworking abilities! I am planning to deploy the router and sink the wheel chock plates a little, however.
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

My latest trailer addition:

$18 for Amazon's finest sequential turn signals and running lights LED strip light. Works like a champ. I figure the more light the better. The Bridal Unit bought it for me for an early Father's day gift. I still have to install my new tag on the LH fender and the trailer will be ready.

85RZwade

There were late nights preparing for my family's annual trip to the Moses Lake dunes.

The trailer reached a state of "finished enough"

Bikes in place and rock solid

This guy? Doing OK for a fella of a certain age. I can still hang with the younger crowd (mostly) but I am always aware that I have to be able to go to work Monday. Didn't drink enough water yesterday, when it was 87 and learned about heat exhaustion. Such pretty colors...the loons, can you hear the loons?
I post waayyy too much

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum