Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dave F Mod after porting

Started by Striker1423, February 05, 2021, 09:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

After John finishes the porting and mills the heads, he's also milling the cylinders for RD400 gaskets. I'm switching out to fiber reeds (.020 Stage 2 TDR reeds) and installing reed spacers (EC 9mm ones).

I was running a 200 main jet on the Dave F mod (Drilled, not threaded for air jet).
I'm guessing I'll have to go up on the main jet to start over? So, should I try the 220 again or go higher?

m in sc

what air filters? If unis id start at 230. might need a pilot and clip change but it wont be huge. the biggest jetting factor is the air intake.

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on February 05, 2021, 10:06:27 AM
what air filters? If unis id start at 230. might need a pilot and clip change but it wont be huge. the biggest jetting factor is the air intake.

Sorry should have specified.

Uni's on a 35 pilot.

m in sc

yeah, id def start at 230 go from there. highest ive seen (claimed) on an rd with dave f mods was a 250 main.

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on February 05, 2021, 10:51:26 AM
yeah, id def start at 230 go from there. highest ive seen (claimed) on an rd with dave f mods was a 250 main.

Do you think the 35 pilots a bit high?

m in sc

Striker1423

Good to know. On another note, were the steering column locks silver soldered into place on the RD? Because, I cut around the powder coat for the lid of the steering lock and gave it a few taps with my trusty plastic hammer. It opened, but... I was a bit surprised as to what I found behind the door. So, unless they did that on purpose, it has to be what holds the lock column in place?

I'm not super pissed... just a little, because I used that lock maybe once at a bike night but it did work. I can leave the door closed and pretend I didn't see it I suppose.

I tried a propane torch and it wouldn't touch it.

rodneya

Is that melted metal? Could only be what they made the lock tumbler part out of, although I would not have thought it would melt at powder coating temps

Striker1423

Quote from: rodneya on February 05, 2021, 09:01:56 PM
Is that melted metal? Could only be what they made the lock tumbler part out of, although I would not have thought it would melt at powder coating temps

That's what I was wondering. Because silver solder would only make sense if that was what held the the cylinder that the lock tumbler went into. But, I could be completely wrong as the whole thing is welded to the frame.

I mean, it's not life or death, but it is pretty annoying. I even thought I'd better take it off, but it was hard rivetted in place. No clue how I would fix it once drilled out. Maybe the only way to get the cover off would be to heat the rivet head red hot and try to squeeze it through the cover hole.

1976RD400C

I think the outer part of the tumbler is pot metal that melted. The rivet should come out if you tap in 2 very fine thin chisels behind the cover and slowly work it. The whole rivet should come out of the frame.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

JB Weld

Quote from: Striker1423 on February 05, 2021, 11:06:18 AM

I don't think 35 pilots are out of the realm of reality. I may even step up to 35 this year.

I have Dave F mod tapped for air jets, individual UNI pods, TDR stage 2 reeds, crossover intakes and 1/4" thick spacers. I'm running 32.5 pilots now. Not ported and no head work.

Jspooner

Quote from: Striker1423 on February 05, 2021, 11:06:18 AM

That's where I'd start.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

IR8D8R

Powder coating temp is supposed to be around 200C. Subject to powder manufacturer's specification...

White metal liquidus temp is ~350C. Free pouring temp is more like 425C.

Looks like someone overcooked the souffle. I would be irritated. They are supposed to look for things like that before they process. Nobody would expect powder coating to melt cast metal parts. I find nothing online that says that zinc can't be powder coated because of melting it. Lots of marine stuff has chunks of zinc.

Maybe their PID oven controller needs calibration? I don't know where the coating starts to degrade from temperature. It looks nice and glossy though for sure.

IR8D8R

m in sc

loos like maybe some solution got trapped in there and boiled out?. weird.  they def did not silver solder them in, and the lock cyl will be zinc, steel springs and brass tumblers.

Striker1423

It's hard like metal. My razor knife would kinda cut into it, but it wasn't coming out. I guess I can try to take the door off and see if what's left will come out.

EDIT:

On a side note, I realized I still haven't solved my wiring woes. This is a pain for me as I still run the stock lights and switches, but a VAPE ignition. I debated making my own harness, but I don't own the correct tools and as far as I'm concerned, I wonder if I could just EBAY or WTB a good used main harness and just remove what I don't need or won't use from it. Mainly the engine connections except the neutral switch wire. I even still have the lamp checker etc. Just don't know what is or isn't necessary at this point.