Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Shop heater

Started by rodneya, December 11, 2020, 02:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1976RD400C

Again, be careful using one of those kerosene turbo heaters in an enclosed area. A farmer near me had a few of them in his building with a bunch of his workers sorting and packing fruit. Next thing you know they started to get carbon monoxide poisoning. They ran out of ambulances trying to cart away the workers to the hospital.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Brad-Man

I have a 30 amp 240V circuit in my garage for my Millermatic 175 MIG so I bought a 240V electric heater and blew in insulation and insulated the doors.  I have a smart switch to turn the circuit on from my smartphone to preheat.

My next addition is the freestanding AC unit I got free that I will duct the exhaust through the wall to the outside...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

oxford

My garage is 20x20 and pretty well insulated.  I run a 600watt oil filled electric radiator non stop through most of the winter, it keeps it above freezing when it's bitter cold and obviously warmer as the outside temps go up.  I can turn it up to 1500 watts if I am going to be out there for any length of time and it keeps it comfortable.

Most any type of propane or kerosene type heater that isn't vented bothers my head when I am around them.  Some times I can tolerate it better than others..

At one point I was going to use a vented propane heater that hung from the ceiling but decided against it.  At this point I wish I would have run the wires before I drywalled for a section of oil filled electric baseboard heat.  I still might do it and just drop the conduit down for it.

AtLarge

I just got done adding a heater to my garage.  I have a 3 car attached with typical insulated doors and only about 4 inches of insulation in the ceiling.  I assume the two outside walls are too but, I have never checked.  I got the 8 gauge wire, breaker, receptacle, duplex box, cover plate, and 7,500 watt Dynaglo Pro from Maynards for about $340.  Only took a few hours to run wire and install but, I have an unfinished basement and that shortcut it considerably.  It took my garage from stone cold 40 degrees to very comfortable 65 in 2 hours.  That's sweatshirt temperature and exactly what I was looking for.  Just enough to take the edge off the air and concrete so, I can get some work done and not break a sweat.  In the past, I was trying to get by with a three burner radiant and a propane tank.  It was always in the way and of course, a little worrisome to use around the bikes.  Unless I figured it wrong it's about $1.25 an hour to run wide open (shouldn't need to constantly) which I think is pretty reasonable for the convenience of being able to step right out of the house into my mess whenever I want.   8)  :celebrate:  :whoop:  :vroom:
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

triple1972

Hi I use a Mr. Heater overhead propane unit. Think it's 70,000 btu's . Hot Dawg is another brand. They need the double walled pipe to be vented outside but my actual heater was 5 or 6 hundred dollars. I just have a snowman propane tank behind my garage. Northern Tool sells the Mr. Heater and I have had it 8 years no issues.