This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

wheel re-building

Started by elliottles1, October 15, 2020, 12:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliottles1

Folks,

This may be a wild stab in the dark, but, would it be possible to re-spoke a wheel by replacing one of the original spokes at a time and making sure that the tension is the same as the original in every case?

cheers
les.

rodneya

Probably not, some spokes need others moved out of the way before you can get them in or out.
If you could get them all in it would most likely need to be trued after anyway.

oxford

I don't think that's going to work.  Building a wheel really isn't that hard, just takes a little time.  You really don't need a stand or an indicator to do it,!just put the wheel back in the bike and a couple of sticks to use as pointers to get it straight.

Biggest thing is getting a good quality wrench for the nipples.

Diablo007

There are good videos on youtube regarding building spoked wheels that will save you a lot of time and frustration.  Most important thing is to have quality spokes from a quality supplier.  If you have mismatched spokes they may not all be the same.  That will result in making it harder to true, watch the videos as the good ones explain this.  I have used NOS Yamaha and Buchannan's.  Both worked well.
2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

Plasticman

I just built a new wire wheel for my RD400.  It wasn't that hard to do once I figured it out.  +1 on getting the right tool for the nipples and using the motorcycle as the "stand".  I'm a tool junkie, so I bought a stand, spoke tool and spoke torque wrench.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

oxford

Quote from: Plasticman on October 15, 2020, 04:17:28 PM
I'm a tool junkie, so I bought a stand

I have a very nice stand I built and still ended up using the bike for the set I did in the rd. 

Djg8493

This is the dial indicator that I use, it can be used with a stand or on the bike, just set the magnet to something close.  It really makes the process a little faster.  You can probably set it up to check timing as well but I havent tried to fit it in there yet. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JU18A0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

Evans Ward

For those can can master wheel lacing, you are saving about $200 per wheel labor not counting parts. This is wheels brought in off the bike.  How do I know? I just had my GT750 wheels relaced with new OEM spokes at my local dealership. At least, I'm supporting my local motorcycle shop...  :eek:  :patriot:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Barrie

Before you strip a wheel take a picture of the lacing pattern .Start the re lacing by fitting the correct spokes to the inside and outside of the hub, once you have the first few spokes placed into the rim it all starts to fall in place, as i stated first as long as you have a picture of the lacing pattern you are safe.
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

bitzz

Quote from: Evans Ward on October 16, 2020, 09:29:57 AM
For those can can master wheel lacing, you are saving about $200 per wheel labor not counting parts. This is wheels brought in off the bike.  How do I know? I just had my GT750 wheels relaced with new OEM spokes at my local dealership. At least, I'm supporting my local motorcycle shop...  :eek:  :patriot:

Buchanan wants $112 to lace and true a wheel
http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/labor.asp
Nothing against your local shop, but I'll take Buchanan for half the price Alex.

Evans Ward

Quote from: bitzz on October 16, 2020, 11:00:14 AM

Buchanan wants $112 to lace and true a wheel
http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/labor.asp
Nothing against your local shop, but I'll take Buchanan for half the price Alex.

Plus cost of shipping wheels each way too so not as much as a good deal. I like to try and support local business when I can but do know Buchanan is the best!
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

rodneya

My local dealers wont even touch a bike over 10 years old. The last time I tried to buy parts from the stealership the parts guy couldnt tell the difference between a YZ250 and a YZ250F, or a clutch side crank seal and the stator cover gasket. Now I order parts online and teach myself how to do stuff.

Djg8493

Quote from: rodneya on October 16, 2020, 01:04:59 PM

My local dealers wont even touch a bike over 10 years old. The last time I tried to buy parts from the stealership the parts guy couldnt tell the difference between a YZ250 and a YZ250F, or a clutch side crank seal and the stator cover gasket. Now I order parts online and teach myself how to do stuff.

I agree this is generally true of many larger dealerships, there are still local shops that care about old bikes and keeping them on the road.  The shop I worked at in college focused on bikes that were turned away from the local dealers and they have been in business for over 40 years.  The knowledge inside that building has not only helped me learn but also gotten me out of many jams.  It is important that people like us support them when we can or they will not survive.  I wont say that I don't order parts online out of convenience but I also try to push as much business to the local shops as I can.  (it's nice to have them deal with tire changes as well:))
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

Diablo007

2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

elliottles1

Folks,

been away for a couple of days. Wow, what a response, many thanks for all the inputs. i will give rebuilding a go.

cheers
les