Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Setting points by dwell

Started by RDDave, Today at 12:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDDave

I set points with a feeler gauge many, many times on my cars and bikes way back when. But I haven't done that in a long time. For decades now I have used a dwell meter. It is not only more accurate but is much easier. So I have been surprised that there has not been more information on this for and from the guys that still have point ignitions on their RDs like me.

Anyway, I spent yesterday experimenting with this. In the end, a .013" point gap gets you about 45* of dwell on the 4 cylinder setting of a dwell meter. I spent a good amount of time going back and forth between the 2 sets of points trying to get them both as close to .013" as I could. But they were a few degrees dwell different every time. Now I understand that a slight difference between the point settings is not a big deal. But setting them both at 45* with the dwell meter while it is idling is much quicker and easier, besides being more accurate, than using a feeler gauge.

And good dwell meters have a test setting. So, I can now pull the side cover off and check the condition and setting of the points and adjust if necessary, in just a couple of minutes.

And my spark plug life has been much shorter than it should be. So, I bought a pair of the NGK Iridiums. So far, so good. If something changes there, I'll post that. And by the way, O'Reilly's had the best price at $10.60 for non commercial accounts for the BR8HIX. My store did not stock them, but ordered them in and had them the next morning.