Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Used Parts Prices

Started by jradnich, April 28, 2022, 12:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jradnich

I was surfing RD parts on eBay. I saw a set of used RD400 cases for $425 and a used trans (gears and shafts only) for $250. A few other parts seemed pretty expensive too. Is this just a case of people thinking their stuff is made of gold or are parts prices really getting that crazy?

Striker1423

Depends on who you go through. Ebay sellers are wanting top dollar. It's a hunt for cheapest including shipping. Having used Ebay for A LOT, the cheapest seller with the best part is my go-to. That said, there's a lot of smaller shops that have parts for cheaper (usually) and even some NOS items. CMS and Speed and Sport come to mind.

That said, some parts just cost more. NOS Transmission gears, case halves that aren't dickered up, top ends, etc. All cost a pretty penny. That's actually one reason why I put a billet banshee clutch basket on my bike. It was actually cheaper than the time it would've been messing around with good used parts, or buying NOS ones.

pidjones

All ways look for BEST OFFER. Then offer what you think you would pay. Don't low-ball and insult them, though. Some sellers have a standard price that they list most things at, but if they offer BEST OFFER, will often take a reasonable price.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

bitzz

Been to the store lately?
A loaf of bread is $3.50, gas is $5 a gallon... seen the price of a RD400 lately?

How much do you want to pay for a transmission out of a 50 year old motorcycle? or cases?
Any idea what you would pay for trans from a CURRENT bike?

(OP: are you looking for cases and trans?)

jradnich

I should have been more specific. I don't need to buy any parts. I've been cleaning out the garage and was looking to see what things are going for right now. I have a set of cases and most of a trans plus some other stuff. I was going to list things on eBay. I just couldn't believe $425 for cases.

dgorms

This is why I joined this forum, i've given away more than I've sold!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

rodneya

$425 cases will most likely not sell. They go for much less on facebook groups all the time. $250 for a trans with shift drum and all the bits is about the going rate. 350 trans are way cheaper though.
Prices for everything are crazy. The guy who rents my basement suite rides a bicycle that cost 6K and it does not even have brakes or gears.

Striker1423

Rodney, does he stop with hopes and dreams?

m in sc

its been bad for along time. thats why theres a 'greedy bastards' ebay section on this forum, and has been since 2019. add the ridiculous bat auctions and the other auction sites that certian segments thinks just fucking awesome a 6k bike supposedly sold for 12k, yeah, there is going be a lot that try to cash in to some degree. 

Striker1423

It's like the RZ in Michigan here. Guy has it up for 15k non-running.

I'd give him like 6 -8 dep[ending on what I thought it needed. Doubt he'd take that price though.

1976RD400C

I'm making a killing on the kid's Pokemon cards that he says he doesn't want anymore. One of the cards got $150 on Ebay. 
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Striker1423

Quote from: 1976RD400C on April 29, 2022, 02:16:51 PM
I'm making a killing on the kid's Pokemon cards that he says he doesn't want anymore. One of the cards got $150 on Ebay.

Oh yeah, I sold all of mine around 10 years ago like an idiot for around 25 bucks...

jradnich

I think the replies confirmed what I thought. Cases were way too expensive. I was surprised that the trans would go for that much though.
Thanks, John

OnlyCrimnson

Quote from: Striker1423 on April 29, 2022, 10:23:37 AM
It's like the RZ in Michigan here. Guy has it up for 15k non-running.

I'd give him like 6 -8 dep[ending on what I thought it needed. Doubt he'd take that price though.

Yes, but it's in "EXTREMELY nice condition," just needs a full rebuild LOL I feel like that has been on there for a loooong time.