Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

08 kx100 shifting weirdness

Started by tayman923, May 16, 2021, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayman923

Now I'm not sure what it did before I received the bike. The crank was toast when I got it so never got to ride it in previous conditions. I installed a new hot rods crank, new bearings and seals, used plenty of lube when setting everything in the cases. Ended up pulling the cases apart a couple times because I thought something was wrong in the tranny, it wouldn't shift but finally got it to shift on the table. Star key(drum shifter, piece that connects in the clutch side of the case to back of shift drum) has grooves, one was a smaller groove so I figured that was the neutral position. Installed a wiseco piston, put all back together with oil and fluids, and it runs great. My issue is, it shifts from neutral to first with ease, 1st to 2nd with ease but is hard to find 3rd at low rpms, and then intermittently will be hard to find third as if it needs some sort of perfect rpm to be shifted. If I'm just cruising it will not go into 3rd easy. I've got to play with the shifter a lot. But if I'm slamming through the gears like I'm racing it, it's generally shifts fine. Do I maybe have a worn return spring on my position lever? Or a bad star key? My gear change shaft didn't seem warped. And all the springs looked to be in really good condition. My shift change mechanism, the two pieces that go with the shift change shaft that are held together with a spring, looked fine, no worn areas. Any ideas? Or questions? I'm trying to figure this out because it doesn't seem right. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85RZwade

Sounds like a shift fork to me (badly worn and/or bent)
I post waayyy too much