Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Ultrasonic cleaners?

Started by soonerbillz, March 10, 2021, 03:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

years ago when i restored clocks for a living, we used it for that. that was my 1st experience with them @ 20 yrs old. I used to get yelled at by the owner for putting carburetors in them after hours, so i got my l&r ive had since then. good for the wifes jewelry as well.  .02

soonerbillz

So never having used one.... how long do ya'll leave carbs in this cleaner.. at what power level?
I don't want to destroy anything.

AAAltered

Here's why you want a BFT.  You never know what you need to dunk. Stuff like this.  Handguns, iron pans, who knows what comes at you.  Mine tank is small....

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

sav0r

I tend to wreck eye glasses because apparently I am a slob, but cleaning them in the tank does wonders. Gets all the gunk out of the crevasses and what not.

For carbs, I run them at 115F (46C or there about), generally for 30 minute bursts. If they are super gross, scrub them or soak them in some Pinesol and hit them with a plastIC bristled brush to get the big gunk off. Then send them to the tank. First run or two I like a light acid, generally Simple Green HD (which is purple and comes in gallon form) works really well. Be careful with steel parts in this solution. Then I finish them off with dish soap and water.

For brass, I like dish soap, salt, vinegar, and water. I forget what the ratios for that mixture, I have to google it every time. Lots of gun nuts use that solution for their brass.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

busa1300

I bought a used one years ago....
Still works like new.
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

SoCal250

This is a must-have for an ultrasonic, otherwise you'll be fishing little parts out of the bottom of the tank.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058ECYIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Excellent for small hardware, jets, etc.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

i use a tea ball for really small stuff.  :twocents:

sav0r

I use a Ball jar. That way you can run two different solutions in the same run.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

SoCal250

Quote from: sav0r on March 17, 2021, 02:31:03 PM
I use a Ball jar. That way you can run two different solutions in the same run.
:thumbs: I've done that too with an old Ragu jar
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

85RZwade

At work, we put the really small stuff (jets) in an old Sucrets tin in the basket.
I post waayyy too much

gardenhosebusabottle

I bought a Harbor Freight 2.5L ultrasonic for carb parts..Mine looks like AAA's unit.  Seems to work pretty well.   I can't remember what i used last for cleaning fluid or homebrew.   haven't tried the Harbor Freight "powder" that you can use in this thing.  One thing i learned w/ RZ carbs and that weird horizontal passageway between NJ tunnel and  small side hole (w/i the horizontal hole!) in upper carb body (EASILY missed!!)....if it has "jelly", you might also need to chemically soak it for a day in berryman's!  I don't think this one is as strong as your industrial 10L's...  maybe that would have cleared the jelly out.

Last i remember Pinesol? was an option.

Oh...what also is KILLER for piston carbon.   I bought a large crock pot.  but that isn't the cool part.   it came w/ a SMALL crock pot (cute!) large enough for a piston and it heats the *cuk out of it.  Turn on that small unit.  Buy a gallon of PISTONKLEEN, pour a little bit in the pot + heat...nice.  I think i might have used that w/ the PV's on the RZ years back.

Would love to hear others home brew mixes!

Billymack12127

Anyone providing carb cleaning servive for my 28 minutes in orange calif
714 366 7823

hayduke

Stupid question... Can I clean the outside of a caliper while its still attached to the brake hose?

Not an RD, it's my 2004 V(wee)-Strom, I'm rebuilding the forks and replacing the front pads and brake hoses, I don't really want to disassemble the calipers. I figured I could just place the ultrasonic cleaner where I could dangle a caliper in it. I'm not sure this is a good idea, kinda worried it might dislodge some crap behind the seals and I'd have to rebuild anyway.

My brother gave me his ultrasonic cleaner, with out instructions, I used it on my carbs the first time, seemed to work well, though the noise gave me a little scare when I first turned it on... :eek:

Thinking maybe I should just use brake cleaner spray.

Inov8

Brakes are not something to take short cuts with. Just spend the extra time/effort and do it right. It could end up being your life or someone elses you're risking.

Brake cleaner on assembled brakes is no bueno. If any of the "dirt" or "grime" on you calipers contains any leaked brake fluid, oil or grease and you spray brake cleaner (solvent) you run the risk of that mess soaking in to your brake pads; at which point, they're junk. You can't clean them.

Dawn and hot water is the safest thing to use as a cleaner/degreaser. You'll be surprised at how effective it is, even when compared to S-100, Simple Green and the like.
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

m in sc

the only time ive put brake parts in the ultrasonic is a completely stripped down master or caliper. otherwise, as stated above.