News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Recent posts

Turning Wrenches / Re: bearing race rotation
Last post by elliottles1 - April 30, 2024, 10:32:54 AM
i think i have sussed it, bearing in mind (no pun intended) that the race is a reasonable fit on the shaft (light tapping with a soft hammer will put it on).
i have managed to drill a 2mm hole into the flywheel in the corner up against the shaft, and then dremel a small slot into the inner race that will fit over a roll pin in the drilled hole.

no more rotation and the pin cannot come out while the bearing is in place. might help someone else out in a similar situation.

thanks for all suggestions.
cheers
les.

Last post by m in sc - April 30, 2024, 10:27:19 AM
Quote from: RDnuTZ on April 30, 2024, 09:41:52 AMJ-B Weld Cold Weld formula?  Package says rated 5021 PSI, Fuel & Chemical resistant. I've had success with JB securing rear wheel bearings that fit too loose in the hub.

we did that to a very old CR500 once, it lasted like 3 years. still.. it did work.
Turning Wrenches / Re: Best year of USA spec RD35...
Last post by m in sc - April 30, 2024, 10:26:33 AM
they are technically all the same except in 75 they went to a baffled air filter, different jetting, and high top carbs. TBH, the 73/74 IMHO because of that open filter was better, technically. &4 saw the introduction fo the high top carbs but they didn't perform any different. and, IMHO, the 73 was prettier because of metal tank badges and side cover badges. But, all in all all 3 years are basically the same. 
General Chatter / Re: Look what somebody did to ...
Last post by m in sc - April 30, 2024, 10:23:58 AM
sort of. i never liked the del-mar either but at least it was tastefully done... but this takes it to a new level.

loong story short, bike shop owner fancied himself as a 'richard rawlings' type, about half way into this, he lost the wrench he was underpaying, and finished it himself and the owner of the bike has deep pockets, so he dug way in deep. I know, for a fact, the front end alone was over 2k.   :busey:
eBay/FB Marketplace/Craigslist watch / Re: Street Legal TZ750 on FB
Last post by Yamanatic - April 30, 2024, 10:19:37 AM
Sadly the pictures (and fond memories) is all I have left =(
Warren
Last post by RDnuTZ - April 30, 2024, 09:55:12 AM
looks like a bastardized version of the Street tracker idea Moto Carrera used to make.
Turning Wrenches / Best year of USA spec RD350?
Last post by RDnuTZ - April 30, 2024, 09:53:03 AM
I always assumed the 1975 RD350 was the most technologically advanced and peak of development before RD400 introduced. Maybe I was just biased by how much I like the Orange/Black color scheme :bacon: I do know stock main jets are smaller on the 1975 and assumed it was forced to run leaner due to USA smog BS or something- but don't know if Yamaha did that with performance in mind?

Sometime ago I was told by a former local (in SoCal) Yamaha Service Manager I knew through VMX racing that the 1974 RD350 was actually the best of the 3 years performance wise stock. Any verifiable truth behind his opinion? If true what are the differences that make the 1974 superior?
Last post by RDnuTZ - April 30, 2024, 09:41:52 AM
J-B Weld Cold Weld formula?  Package says rated 5021 PSI, Fuel & Chemical resistant. I've had success with JB securing rear wheel bearings that fit too loose in the hub.
Last post by Dvsrd - April 30, 2024, 09:17:14 AM
What about building up the shaft using thermal powder coating, or hard Chrome, then grind it to correct press fit?
Last post by m in sc - April 30, 2024, 07:47:35 AM
it was a 100% complete bike in decent shape. original paint, etc.

few years ago i had a bunch of daytona stuff for sale, which i got from the owner of THAT bike, so i know 1st hand, it was def not a bike that should have been cut up IMHO. I have my specials that basically started as bins of parts, I get it.