Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rebuilding vintage 2 strokes

Started by Oliver, May 08, 2024, 08:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

Hi! I'm new to two-stroke engines, so some of these questions might seem pretty basic to you guys. Is it possible to fit a vintage two-stroke with a replaceable cylinder liner if parts are not easy to come by for that engine? If so, would there be any real limit to the number of rebuilds that I could get out of a vintage cylinder? Thank you.

RDnuTZ

more details on your bike would help define things, but in many cases you can resleeve old vintage cylinders once you are out of bores. Check LA Sleeve and Wiseco for starters to see what they have. Some of the older bikes already had chrome bores and starting in the 1980s or so specialized coatings like Nikasil were introduced that could rebuild the thickness of your cylinder liner to stock and go from there. Just generalized thoughts here.
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)

Oliver

Quote from: RDnuTZ on May 08, 2024, 10:20:59 AMmore details on your bike would help define things, but in many cases you can resleeve old vintage cylinders once you are out of bores. Check LA Sleeve and Wiseco for starters to see what they have. Some of the older bikes already had chrome bores and starting in the 1980s or so specialized coatings like Nikasil were introduced that could rebuild the thickness of your cylinder liner to stock and go from there. Just generalized thoughts here.

Thanks. If you go the sleeve route is there any real limit to how many time you can rebuild the original engine? I mean, could someone get five or more rebuilds?

RDnuTZ

What bike(s) are you talking about here? When you say "rebuild"- are you just talking about the top end of engine? There's always a max limit on bore size at some point. I have lots of vintage 2 stroke single cylinder Yamahas, so an example of that is Yamaha typically only offered 4 bore oversized pistons from stock, but Wiseco typically offered up to 8 oversizes. The problem is going to be availability of pistons you can find. The biggest oversizes are usually rare. LA sleeve used to offer a new installed sleeve with a matching stock bore piston kit. Don't know if that is still true or not. Some plating companies would also plate back to stock factory specs and offer a piston kit with it.

Can't really be much more help unless you tell what bike you have here. Good Luck.
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)