Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

my TZR out and about

Started by m in sc, March 07, 2023, 08:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

last Saturday at cars and coffee.  Guy Im talking to has a really nice CB750, vfr1000 & 500 interceptor.

No one knew what the hell we rode in on.  :dawg:

85RZwade

How about a ride report, Mark? What's it like, similar to an RZ, an Elsie, or ? Power delivery, handling, etc. Inquiring minds want to know!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

a TZR250 is a big reason i sold my RZ. after I rode one it just lost a lot of the luster. I know, weird.

MOST people would def prefer the rz, I get that. they are more practical, easier to get HP out of, and bigger physically. The TZR , even stock, is a fantastic handling bike, one of yamahas best. th rz doesnt even come close, and thats saying a lot.

also, if you are of shorter stature, the TZR just fits. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, the tzr fits perfectly. the power is all 5500 and above (up to 10k), there's basically very little top end but holy shit when it goes, it goes. smooth as glass, and gets up to 100 very fast.  keep in mind, its a short stroke motor, only 50mm. it is NOT a wheelie machine, its a factory road race bike, and it feels like it. I know the 3ma and later ones are faster, but this in its stock form is really, really good. if you can keep it in the powerband, which is really easy tbh, its so quick around corners.

I did eventually plan on fitting an aftermarket exhaust, but beyond that, for me, its about perfect. Ive done hour long rides on it and never had a problem. But, its def not for everyone. If you are looking for a HP monster, this isnt it. If you want a really well balanced bike to carve canyons or raise hell on back roads at 70-80 mph around long sweepers with 100% confidence, this is def it.

Kawtriplefreak

Excellent! I can't wait to throw a leg over it.

2 Smoker

kpke

Wonderful. What a great bike. Glad it's working out for you.

Why did I not buy one of these? Stupid. I let many opportunities slip by.   :'(
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pdxjim

The engine in my TDR is the same as Mark's TZR, with the exception of a lower first gear.

I've owned my TDR for 25 years now, and I agree with everything Mark says about it.  Basically the next evolutionary step after the RZ.  The 3MA and 3XV are certainly more advanced, still, but they really got it right with the little 1KT.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Evans Ward

It does sound like the perfect bike for Mark H.!  :thumbs: Reminds me of two of Yamaha's 70's/ 80's marketing slogans:

"Someday, you'll own a Yamaha"

Yamaha- It's a better machine"
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

m in sc

to jims point: my tzr actually has a 3xc motor, which carries the same transmission ratios as his tdr. so, while it devalues it a lot due to originality to the rivet counters & resellers  :blah:  , its actually a mechanical upgrade.

when i put the zeel on it, i actually use the tdr250 17 degrees of initial timing curve under 3k (tzr is 15) then default back to the 'hot' tzr curve above that, so its sort of the best of both worlds.