Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd350 front hubs vs xs650 hubs.

Started by niteowl, July 01, 2022, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niteowl

Short and sweet. Are the 36 spoke 650 hubs the same as rd350's? I'm  looking at buying a 19" rim and spokes from Mike's.  Can't afford the good ones!

m in sc

99% sure it will fit w out issues. I have an xs hub on the front of the lightweight actually w an aluminum stock sized rd rim laced to it.

oxford

I had a dual disc xs650 hub from a different project that I was planning on using for the TX forks dual disc conversion on my RD.  IIRC the XS was 10mm wider than the dual disc TX hub(same width as a RD) and i couldn't get it to work with the triple clamp spacing on stock RD trees.

Your mileage may vary for  what you want to use it for.

Dvsrd

Was that a TX500, TX650 (which is the 73 and 74 XS650), or a TX750 fork?
I do know that the 73-76 TX/ XS 650 forks are 34 mm, and use the same calipers as the RD350.
77 and later have 35 mm tunes and inferior calipers.....

Vintagetz

Oxford is correct,  XS hobs are wider, they are the same as a TZ250/350.  I have a set of 34mm TX 500 forks (both lowers have disc mounts) and a TX dual disc hub that I would part with

niteowl

I'm hoping s,  2.15" x 19" mikes wheel and spokes fit rd hub. Triple trees with a dirt track type tire on it.

oxford

Quote from: niteowl on July 05, 2022, 12:18:56 AM
I'm hoping s,  2.15" x 19" mikes wheel and spokes fit rd hub. Triple trees with a dirt track type tire on it.

Just keep an eye on on the spoke angle and any "flexing/bending" while tightening the spokes.  You may have to lightly file the hole angle in the rim to prevent this if it happens.

Spokes should be ok.

m in sc

hm. maybe i have  tx hub then? not sure now.

Vintagetz

Quote from: niteowl on July 05, 2022, 12:18:56 AM

You will want to work on shock length and fork position/length.  That larger wheel can upset the geometry and increase both the rake and trail.  I would suggest that you might find an 18" tire that matches what you want to run to make it easier to get the setup right.  (unless there is an issue getting spokes and an 18 inch rim at a similar cost to the mikes).

You want the rake at about 25 degrees and a trail around 3.625 - 3.75 inches.