Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350 7 plate clutch detail & options

Started by Old Brit, October 11, 2020, 03:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Brit

I've been reading through topics about RD clutch types after a Buddy in the UK asked me about clutch plate sequence (fibre or steel 1st) so sent him what I'd found in an excellent post by Chuck in his vendor section.
My Buddy has now come back saying a '74 RD350 he's currently working on/looks after for his neighbor has 7 fibre & 7 steel plates (all the same thickness) fitted. He also said it has the later 2 piece boss but no arrow marking on the 6 screw pressure plate none of which seems to fit with any of scenario's in Chuck post.
The clutch was working fine before the motor was strip for a crank rebuild, be great to hear your thoughts Guys, especially Chuck's if he has the time.

m in sc

you can squeeze in different thinner (steel) plates to make that work. More of a hybrid, but not stock and def not the norm.

Old Brit

All very strange huh, especially as I've since found/attached a 1973 manual (section attached) which lists 7 of each too  :umm:
So using all 14 starting I assume you'd start with a fibre plate which means the last one against the pressure plate would be steel.

m in sc

that sort of depend on the pressure plate.  for example, earlier plates didn't have the 'teeth' on them. they used a steel at the end. far as i know, plates with the teeth didnt use a steel at the end.  i could be wrong, but mistakes have been found before in the fiche

for example, the fiche used on partzilla shows the layout right but also calls for 7 plates. there arent 7 on that clutch.  just .02