Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

3 way heat, can a Titan keep up?

Started by biggraham, March 18, 2021, 06:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggraham

Hi, my landlord has a pretty stock 500 K'wak triple( has pipes and dual discs), I've a restomod RD400,(Spec 2's and bigger carbs, gsxr front) and was wondering about a Suzuki t500 titan, can it be made to keep up?
I just picked up this for $500:
( not my beer)
I spy clip ons tho...

m in sc

can it? yes. will it cost you a bunch of money? yes.

ive owned versions of all 3 of the bikes you are discussing. currently own a t500.

oxford

Just give your landlord double the rent money for April and call it a day. :dawg:

m in sc

just as an fyi. you better hope the t500 doesn't need a crank rebuild. they have TWO rubber seals on the inner bearing thats fed by the .. the transmission. thats right.  :eek: ask how i know. and wait till you price those super special bearings.  also if its pre 73... there's a mod to the transmission  that requires splitting the cases you need to do to not starve 5th gear of oil if its not already cooked. 

Czakky

1976RD400C

When I raced my 400 in '79-'83ish a Canadian would show up occasionally with his modded out T500 and put all the RDs in their place. The bike was very trick and had more power than the modified RDs.   :cry:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

teazer

If it's this model of Suzuki 500 twin two stroke it will keep up without any trouble. 

I used to have a client that sourced rare race bikes from overseas and I rebuilt them to sell.  It this case, the bike had been cosmetically restored but the motor needed work and it needed new tires etc.

RDFL

The SB1 Bimota TR500 is a beautiful bike. 

m in sc

YES, They can be fast.. especially when ported to tr specs, pipes, etc. but again $$$. takes way more effort and budget to get a t500 faster than an rd400 though. I used to hear eric k (who raced one for years in ahrma) complain (sort of)  about this quite a bit. 

m in sc

RDFL