Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Cage obsessions?

Started by NYSingh, April 01, 2021, 05:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

I think my RD has sparked a love for all things that are impractical money pits, and I've become increasingly obsessed with the idea of getting an old clunky, uncomfortable, overpriced, CO2-spewing cage - specifically a 70s era SUV like a Int'l Scout, Land Cruiser, FJ40, LR Defender or Bronco.  I'm undecided whether I want to be talked out of it or encouraged. 

Anyone else have a 4-wheel obsession they're dreaming about or gave in to?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

Striker1423

Yeah, a K5 Blazer. That way I can run everything over.

teazer

Not exactly obsessing, but I'd really like to get another GMC Safari.

Seriously.  Years ago, my in laws bought one cheaply with a lot of miles on it.  When we moved them from Oregon to Illinois, I loaded their old van up with their stuff and drove it across from the west coast and it already had 194,000 miles on it.  It was rough and old and ugly, so I felt at home in it...

After replacing a lot of electrical items and storing the middle and rear row seats in the shop, it carried race bikes all over the place. FZR400 for chassis straitening.  Throw it in the back.  GT750 Suzuki to the dyno to test different pipes. Check. 8x4 plywood sheets. check.  Drywall. Check.

It finally passed its use by date with another 130,000 or so miles on the clock and the motor still ran strongly and it shifted gears fine until it blew a transfer case.  I tried to sell it but it was worth more as scrap steel.  If I could get another but with a V8 motor and new suspension, I'd be interested. 

It's a mid sized awd van with huge carrying capcity.

NYSingh

Ah yes!  We had an Astro van growing up (the Chevy version of the Safari).  It served us well, taking us all over the country and lasted from our childhoods up until we all moved out of the house and my parents no longer needed a van. 

Kind of a sad story, though - growing up in India, my dad always that thought the ultimate sign of success in America was owning a Cadillac. Years later, he moved here, started a family, worked for years and finally got to the point where he could afford a Cadillac.  He had it for all of 3 months before his bratty kids made him sell it for an Astro van because we wanted more room.  No wonder he's a grumpy old man now!
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

85RZwade

My dad had a '70 Ford F-250...360, 4-speed, manual hubs. When the 360 wheezed out, dad dropped in a 429 Mercury and apparently connected the tachometer directly to the fuel gauge, as they seemed to move in unison. With the wisdom gained of 20 years on the planet, I bought it from him. With the same "wisdom" I sold it a few years later, and I still miss that old thing.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

had an international scoutII with a 345 out of a travel-all (had one of those as well) in it that i loved about 25 yrs ago when I lived in ks. man that thing was a riot and indestructible.  had to let go when I moved back here but id kill for another one.

pdxjim

My current obsession is my Dad's 1956 Porsche 356A.

Perfect all original condition with 70k on the clock.

It's been garaged non-op for all of my 53 years, and I've been patiently waiting for it all this time.

Was just down visiting him and he said he was gonna sell it.

He's 83 and does not at all need the money.

Motherfcuker better not sell my car.

(Not the actual car.  His has the OG wheels, is dusty and covered with blankets and cardboard boxes)

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

We had 3 Astro vans over the years. My dad to this day still calls them Asshole vans. They weren't bad vehicles, I think he just got tired of them. One with a manual transmission is the way to go. He has a 13 passenger Chevy Express now, and it's a lot more vehicle than Astro, for better or for worse. He's actually putting the Express running gear under a Grumman Olson Kerbside. It will be a hotrod/tow vehicle and it will match our trailer that was built from two Grumman Olson Kerbsides.

I think he's going for this look with his Kerbside.

Those 356's go for a lot money, time for that second mortgage.

www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

pdxjim

Quote from: sav0r on April 02, 2021, 01:46:16 PM

Those 356's go for a lot money, time for that second mortgage.

Yup.  Comps off BAT put it between $70k and $100k
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Makes Mark's cornbinder dream seem more affordable!
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

I posted my money pits in the 4 stroke sub section.
Suffice it to say.. they will bankrupt me..

IR8D8R

I have 2-1960's Alfa Romeo Spiders in storage. One is the Veloce model which was the Alfa factory performance version. One of 1091 made in 64-65. It is still 100% original except for the front sway bar and some internal engine parts. As the prices increase professional restoration (~$40k) becomes a better option. The interior and body/paint need to be done. Outside my abilities... The latex seat foam turned into powder and blew away back in the 90's when there was no aftermarket stuff available. Now you can get replacement reproductions but it's $$$$. I resisted the urge to restomod in the 90's because there are probably only ~200 left in the world at the most so I put it in storage. If you've seen The Day of the Jackal it's the last year of that car: Giulia Spider Veloce. Tipo: 101-18.

I also have a 1963 IH Scout 80. The line setting ticket says "Prototype". It has like 5.40:1 diff gears. Maximum speed is about 45 mph. It was my uncle's that he used as transportation for fishing trips in CO in the mid 60's. Definitely slow lane. Parts are not easy to come by for early Scouts but there is renewed aftermarket interest in recent years. The IH engines are tractors. They will even run on a mix of BBQ lighter and Coleman lantern fuel if you should perhaps run out of gas 20 miles from a road...  :whistle: Scout II is probably a better choice for a stock-ish modern 4x4. The 345 V-8's eat fuel and are heavier than the 4cyl but they pull like a freight train. Pretty sure Scouts can climb trees but they are very... Agricultural.

Photo is not my car but identical down to the color. I wish mine was that nice. Money and time have never been right.

IR8D8R

JB Weld

I miss my 84 short bed chevy with 9" of lift, 38's and welded dana 60. Met and dated my wife in that truck and have been searching for it. Also want another 72 Pierre Cardin Javelin someday, which I sold to help fund my wedding. Good investment, but my wife wants to facilitate me having another someday