News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Sigh, what did I do wrong. (transmission)

Started by mewherman, July 12, 2021, 12:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mewherman

So I'm reassembling the bottom end on my r5, I've swapped a 6 speed in to the cases because I have the parts lying around collecting dust. I wasn't able to find a lot of info about doing this, but it went on in there anyway. I put the cases back together and assembled most of the right side and of course I can't get it through the gears, it seems to shift into direct and then gets stuck, it will shift to neutral and then into half a gear? Maybe I need to have the clutch and other gears installed, but I would like to make sure this is going to work before I put it fully together. I looked at some photos of other transmissions on here, but I can't see any difference between mine and the photos. I guess I could just put the 5 speed back in.  :umm: Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious.

mewherman

mewherman

mewherman

So I noticed the star wheel is reversed from other pictures I'm looking at, and so I've taken it apart again and turned it so that the cut out is facing the detent which must be how it's supposed to be. It seems to kinda shift now, but I'm not exactly getting it through all six gears smoothly, maybe I'm expecting too much on the bench I guess I should have tried it before to see how it feels. If no one can see anything else wrong, I'm just going to proceed and hope it works.

rodneya

Are you rocking the counter shaft sprocket while shifting? If you dont have some movement in the shafts it will not shift.

There is a post from Chuck about the swap. It is under  team scream

mewherman

Quote from: rodneya on July 12, 2021, 10:37:02 AM
Are you rocking the counter shaft sprocket while shifting? If you dont have some movement in the shafts it will not shift.

There is a post from Chuck about the swap. It is under  team scream

Yes this is with me turning the gears, I mean, it's a bit hard to push on the lever while turning but I feel like it shouldn't be so stiff.

If you could link me that info that would be great because I just clicked on every post under "team scream" and I can't find anything about six speeds in r5s for whatever reason.

rodneya

My bad, chucks thread was for 400 trans into a 350. The thread for the R5 that I saw must have been on one of the UK sites, but I cant remember where.

jradnich

I did a quick search. There is a thread on dotheton. I'm not registered on the site so I couldn't see much of it. Maybe someone who is registered there can see the whole thread.

soonerbillz

You have to use ALL the RD trans parts in a R5.
Gears, drum forks and outer shifter sprawl. You can't use any R5 parts.
The clutch hubs are interchangeable but you must use the RD primary if you use a 7 plate later hub.
Stuff I learned on countless hours of research and lots of help from folks here too!

1976RD400C

Are you installing the clutch when testing? If not, the main shaft can slide and misalaign the gears. Also I don't see the snap ring that goes on the big bearing next to the clutch or the little bushing that fits where the shift shaft meets the shift mechanism that turns the drum.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

RDFL

mewherman

Quote from: soonerbillz on July 13, 2021, 12:45:35 AM
You have to use ALL the RD trans parts in a R5.
Gears, drum forks and outer shifter sprawl. You can't use any R5 parts.
The clutch hubs are interchangeable but you must use the RD primary if you use a 7 plate later hub.
Stuff I learned on countless hours of research and lots of help from folks here too!

Yes, I have swapped all the parts in from the RD, including the clutch and primary. I think I'm just being paranoid, I have the whole bottom end together now and am just waiting for the cylinders to be done.

mewherman

Quote from: 1976RD400C on July 13, 2021, 10:38:35 AM
Are you installing the clutch when testing? If not, the main shaft can slide and misalaign the gears. Also I don't see the snap ring that goes on the big bearing next to the clutch or the little bushing that fits where the shift shaft meets the shift mechanism that turns the drum.

I didn't have the clutch on initially and I think that was an issue. I'm also probably just being paranoid about it being correct since all these parts were just in a box,  :eek: On the r5, or at least on my r5, I wasn't able to use that snap ring, the r5 transmission uses a half moon clip in the location where that snap ring is on the RD and there is no recess machined into the top half of the r5 case to accept it, so I had to use the clip and remove the snap ring. Yes I have the bushing, it just wasn't on there for the photo.