News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Do you love cool RD stuff? of course, Get in here.

Started by Makr, October 08, 2021, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makr

Some of you may know me as a landspeed racer and machinist. There was a thread on this forum about my adventures at Bonneville in the old days before M in NC had to save this wonderful place.

I still race the RD400 on the salt and at ElMirage but this year I also started running another RD400 in the ARHMA road race series. I have a lot to learn about going around corners fast. I love these bikes.

Me, Ed Elenbach. Gerome Mills, a couple years ago at ElMo. 

rained out World Finals

Buttonwillow

I built this RD350 about twenty years ago. It has a bunch of cool cnc machined parts on it like the rear sets, triple clamp, clip-ons, etc

Since it seems there are not very many options in the aftermarket, I would make a few sets of everything i have done in the past, to sell.

These are on my old reliable RD400 that goes everywhere.

Tried and tested.

My plan is to sell these as long as it is fun and makes enough to pay for itself. My customer base is custom street rod and motorcycle parts for other builders and it pays the bills so this only fun.

I am going to put the rear sets out there for an initial $350 a set because I want some feedback. They will go up to $450 soon. I have RD400 and RD350 drum brake covered but i'm sure there are variations and pipe configurations that I need help with.

Keep in mind that I make these in house. They are not sent out to another machine shop or middle man. To change, modify, do something new is easy. I do need a Daytona version if someone wants to work with me on that. I will make another thread on triples, clip-ons, kick start levers and other things.

Anyway cheers. You can reach me at mark@speedofcheeseracing.com which is the best way. My number is 801-809-4078 but I hardly answer it. Text at times.
website
https://speedofcheeseracing.com/
https://www.instagram.com/makrshaker/
I dont FB much but do check in. https://www.facebook.com/Speedofcheeseracing
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsiWm1yzVzY-mBjko8RffmA

If you want to see a shop tour.

RDFL

Hawaii-Mike

Makr

SoCal250

Hi Mark,
Nice parts! I like those rearsets!  :olaf:

I remember some of your really cool creations from the old site way back.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

thats sweet. you have a weight on them by chance?

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

well... id like a set for the lightweight and them move the vs ones to the 72 r5. maybe.

Makr

Hey SoCal250! I remember you. Thanks.

85RZwade Thank you.

M in sc   With all the fasteners the shift assembly is 426 grams and the brake side is 429 grams.

Makr

85RZwade

Fun video Mark! I still love those rearsets and I was nearly pushed over the edge to grab my credit card when the Cult started playing in the background. I just listened to that song at work today!
You mentioned variations...my 350 is going to use an hydraulic rear disc brake. Nothing is set in stone yet; I have a spare RZ rear master cylinder, but the master on my kid's CRF250 with the integral reservoir has my attention (de rigueur on late model MX bikes). Would you recommend starting with the 350 model and winging it, or will the 400 piece fit on the 350 and be easier? Maybe you have another idea? Might as well go Full Tilt while I'm at it... (see what I did there?)
I post waayyy too much

Makr

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 16, 2021, 01:02:14 AM
Fun video Mark! I still love those rearsets and I was nearly pushed over the edge to grab my credit card when the Cult started playing in the background. I just listened to that song at work today!
You mentioned variations...my 350 is going to use an hydraulic rear disc brake. Nothing is set in stone yet; I have a spare RZ rear master cylinder, but the master on my kid's CRF250 with the integral reservoir has my attention (de rigueur on late model MX bikes). Would you recommend starting with the 350 model and winging it, or will the 400 piece fit on the 350 and be easier? Maybe you have another idea? Might as well go Full Tilt while I'm at it... (see what I did there?)

Love the Cult! Thanks! I not very good at the video thing.

Yes go with the 350. The only difference between the 350 and 400 is the shifter arm. The 350 has to clear the side cover so it is longer and bent.

On the road race 400 I just hooked the master cylinder to the brake lever with a bracket I welded on the frame, but on the kinda stock 400 I ran it through the stock pivot. Either way works. Also keep in mind that if you need anything special for your application it is not a big deal for me.

Full Tilt! haha

Makr

M in NC and his lovely new wife came by on his honeymoon a few weeks ago. My new moto is to find a woman that will go out and talk motorcycles on a honeymoon. Solid.

He has been very helpful in filling in the other stuff I don't have.

So I made some new parts that may help in different applications.

Simple mount without exhaust hanger. I also slotted the lower hole so it fits any of the frames. I deem to have only one version in all my bikes.

I made a brake side with stock brake pivot but no exhaust hanger.

And one with the hanger.

Hope everyone's holidays are the best! Merry Christmas hohoho

m in sc

damn nice work!

:haw:

and again, a pleasure to visit for sure. Look forward to next one.  :burnout:

rlloydm

Hey Mark - I remember some of your posts from the old forum. What AHRMA rounds will you be running this year? I race an RD in the Novice Production class. Would love to come check out your parts in person.