This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Cool little story of opinion on a R5

Started by soonerbillz, January 27, 2022, 09:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

i mean, yeah.

Out of all the 2 strokes i own, i tend to ride the r5's the most.   :huh: :gentleman:

Kawtriplefreak

Yep
I ride my RD more than the other 3 bikes I own.

TPR5

Love mine ! Nice article

dgorms

Ditto with the DS-7, just makes me smile.
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

Evans Ward

Thanks for posting that as I loved both the main article as well as the comments. Glad that Economy Cycle got a recommendation! I think I'll print this out and give to Tom Judkins who owns (and can ride fast smoothly!) on his '71 R5 like the one pictured here. It actually belonged to Mark (m in sc) before Tom.

Side note: Tom also owns a '78 silver RD400 beauty which I mentioned to him a few years ago asking why he doesn't bring it to the Gap anymore?  He said the carbs were gummed up from sitting  (and he didn't how to work on them) so I mentioned to him to bring the carbs off it to the Gap next time and I'll teach him how to clean, rebuild, synch, and tune them. After a couple of years, Tom brings them to the Gap in 2021 and we had our tech session as I rebuilt the first one with the understanding he would build the second. He was a great student and passed with flying colors! Thanks to m in sc on telling us the correct turns for the air screw.

R5s were everywhere when I was in high school. We all admired them especially the paint jobs/ color schemes.

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

m in sc

heres my 71 from 06 at the gap thats RB int he background, i had low boy j&rs on at this point, but also had a set of mint stock pipes and a set of upswept J&Rs that tom still uses to this day. with the stock pipes it was 100% restored correctly. much nos stuff. then tom buys it and rides the wheels off it for the past 15 years. lol.  :olaf:

soonerbillz

While I'm late to this R5 party I either was blind to the niche or the niche is growing at a increased rate recently.
All I know is there seems to be quite a few youngsters interested in the early yds7 and R5's
I'm long in the tooth and though a fan of 2t for a long time I can't remember these bikes being as popular as they seem to be now.

m in sc

they werent for along time. a lot were passed over for rds.

Plasticman

Great story.  I've only had RD400's, never had a 350.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

dgorms

I've noticed the R-5, and DS-7 prices increasing, gives me hope for the two of each I have. :thumbs:
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum