Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What in the heck???

Started by soonerbillz, June 01, 2022, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

What year R5 used 2 piece exhaust or can RD 350 head pipes be used with these chambers?
I thought all R5 were 1 piece the only difference being seamed or unseamed.

m in sc

2 pc exhaust didnt come around until rd models.

those pipes were sold with their own headpipes, like j&rs were. but stockers (rd headpipes)  will work.  I have engineering patent drawings of those pipes somewhere florida steve sent me years ago, i just cant find them.

klaird

Here are the patent drawings.

m in sc

soonerbillz

Pipes showed up today!
No dents..cracks so I'm happy about that.

soonerbillz

But!!!
Somebody welded a plate on one baffle. But I knew that from the seller's pics.
I was lucky and the baffle plate bolt on the other came out cleanly as did the plate itself. Happy about that.
But now I'm trying to figure out how to pull the baffle.

m in sc

its missing the endcaps but thats ok.

soonerbillz

But how to pull the baffles out?
The chambers are totally packed with carbon..

m in sc

you dont. they are all welded together. soak in degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer inside. 

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on June 09, 2022, 10:16:59 AM
you dont. they are all welded together. soak in degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer inside.

Ok. I guess those plates are to quiet the chambers down and give so.e extra back pressure.  I bet these things are LOUD without them.  Does it hurt to run without them?

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on June 08, 2022, 09:00:00 PM
its missing the endcaps but thats ok.

I took the one with a bolt off. I'm gonna cut the one that's welded off and fix it.

klaird

Mark's method for cleaning is probably a lot safer than what I did.     I used a propane torch to ignite the oil and then stuck an air hose in the end to give it enough air to burn all of the crud out, it also burns all of the old paint off the outside (be prepared for a LOT of smoke if you do this).  Just make sure you control the air so you don't get them too hot.  As Mark indicated the baffles are not removable.

I noticed on yours that they used a bolt and a couple welds to hold on the 4 hole plates, originally a 1/4" stud was used.  The 4 hole end plates where secured with a nut and lock washer and the tips went over the same stud with another lock washer and nut.  On mine the 1/4" stud twisted off when I tried to remove the tips so I brazed in a 5/16 " stud which worked for the most part.  Since you don't have the tips it may be easier to just braze/weld the 4 hole plates in place.  As for how to place the plates I'm not sure how they should go, I've tried them with only 4 tubes open, all half open, and without the plates and couldn't tell much difference.  Mark might have some suggestions on how the 4 hole plates should be positioned for best performance.

m in sc

not back pressure. bleed. (stinger). theres a difference. yes they are louder for sure w out the caps.

soonerbillz

My end caps via OReilly's auto exhaust.
I had to do a little massaging but they fit like a glove.
Now to find some Rd headers.
Thanks Mark for the help

JB Weld

Such a cool find. Never heard of these before. Excited to see the end result!!