News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

Got the bottom half of the clutch mounted, waiting on new friction plates. Now looking at the outer drum, I'm wondering if I should file the splines/dogs. Do these look worn enough to address?
1977 RD400

JBeasty

I've been quiet for a bit, but things are happening. The clutch is sorted out. The frame is stripped, I just have to take off the triple clamps and swing arm, then get it blasted. Got the Daytona head cut in half. Mark (Speed of Cheese) did it for me. He said, get this:
"John, This is not how I make my living but I'm happy to do it because I love RDs. Give me enough for shipping and we are good".
First time I think I've ever had ANY work done for free, let alone from a machinist! I'm finding 2 stroke guys are a cut above.  The head(s) came out very nice too. I'd post pics, but they, along with my barrels, are currently with John Ritter.
1977 RD400

Striker1423

John Ritter will make those parts a work of art. You won't be dissapointed.

Just don't blow it up right away like I did.

JBeasty

RD is bomb, me is fuse  :devil: 
Actually, I shouldn't joke around like that...
1977 RD400

JBeasty

So with the frame stripped I can start planning how to adapt this 86 Radian swing arm I got a while back. The pivot is a direct fit, and it has needle bearings. From the pivot to the axle hole, it's about 3 inches longer. It feels lighter, but I weighed it and it's about 1 lb heavier (RD is 6.6, Radian 7.7) on my kitchen scale. It IS more substantial than the RD swing arm. I'll have to figure out spacers for the added width in the axle area, which is probably a good thing as it will allow me to align the chain. The shock clevis's will have be moved inward to line up with the more narrow RD shock mounts. And while I'm at it, I thought I would move them forward about 3 inches to match the stock RD swing arm. My thinking is that way I can use close to stock length shocks, keeping the geometry closer to stock. That's my plan anyway. Feel free to chime in if I'm missing something.
JB
1977 RD400

1976RD400C

John Ritter did my cylinders, heads, reeds 10 years ago and that turned my bike into the most favorite bike of all time. Every time I ride it, the first time I get to roll the throttle open, it's all smiles and WOW. 
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

85RZwade

While moving shock mounts around, be mindful of ride height. Moving shocks forward on that longer swingarm might stinkbug ya.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

split the differences on the shock placement and plan on increasing the preload. i did that with the fzr400 swingarm on the hybrid, worked out well, and its 4" longer than a 350 arm, so the same as that . also expect the ass end to stick up more, which will bring the effective rake IN on the front and steer quite a bit quicker. .02

JBeasty

Quote from: m in sc on November 08, 2022, 10:55:39 AM
split the differences on the shock placement and plan on increasing the preload. i did that with the fzr400 swingarm on the hybrid, worked out well, and its 4" longer than a 350 arm, so the same as that . also expect the ass end to stick up more, which will bring the effective rake IN on the front and steer quite a bit quicker. .02

So move the mounts forward ~ 1.5"? What about getting shorter shocks? Showing my ignorance here - I'm guessing quicker steering is desirable on this bike? 
1977 RD400

m in sc

they will still lay over more. youre going to have to just see where it lands and adjust from there. when i did mine I made 4 holes to use for the lower mount, figured where i wanted it w some older mulhollands.. then went with a set of works shocks.

you can see the mount here, there are 4 holes up the arm on the aluminum i machined then welded to the arm. i would up going w the 1st one

JBeasty

That's a great idea! I see you also rotated your caliper 180* and cut off a bunch of the mount. Did you also cut flush the threaded part that passes through the swing arm, or leave a little to create a spacer?
1977 RD400

m in sc

i cut it flush, and made spacers on the lathe to center the wheel.  since mine was a monoshock arm, I used the shock mount on the bottom and a cylinder head nut w a spacer and a stud to secure the torque arm. just fyi.

JBeasty

My swing arm has a mount point for the torque arm approximately where the RD one is. Might be able to use it?

This is (roughly) the way it sits now. Don't know what the stock shock length is, but these old S&W's are ~ 13.25 eye to eye. I can see now how the rear end will raise up (and down) a lot with minimal forward/back clevis movement. I know I'm a long way off from final placement, but I may end up needing slightly shorter shocks?
1977 RD400

m in sc

that actually doesn't look -that- far off. 

JBeasty

Making a bit more progress. Also received this beauty yesterday from Evans Ward.  :clap: Now I need to source an adapter, or find a template to make one.
1977 RD400