News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Tuning AC RD350 front suspension

Started by 2t Fan, October 02, 2021, 04:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

Thanks for that very in depth explanation! As it turns out, I just finished cutting and drilling the damping rods, and made some adapters (my first attempt at using a lathe). I'll be assembling the bike with the existing Eibach springs that were installed by the previous owner. They are no doubt old and need replacing, but I can change them easy enough later. I'd just like to get the bike rolling for now so I can move it around. The main thing was getting the rods done while I had forks apart for restoration. Thanks to everybody on this thread for chiming in with all the great insight. This forum rocks  :metal:
1977 RD400

Vintagetz

JBeasty

A few questions...

Since I have an adapter, I don't need to cut the pin correct? It clears with room to spare. Will it effect oil flow much if I leave it in there?

Also I've got one fork put together, but I'm not sure how to get the allen head bolt in the bottom of the fork tight without the damper rod spinning. I don't want to hit it with an impact driver (like I did to get it loose), for fear of breaking it off at the head or worse. I think the torque spec is 11 - 22 ft-lb.

I'm gonna go pick up some fork oil tomorrow, was thinking 10 wt to start? Manual says 144 ml (4.87 oz), but should I instead bring it up to a certain level above the cartridge emulator? I know a lot of this is gonna be trail and error, just looking for an educated guesstimate.
1977 RD400

Vintagetz

Quote from: JBeasty on February 14, 2023, 01:54:09 AM
A few questions...

Since I have an adapter, I don't need to cut the pin correct? It clears with room to spare. Will it effect oil flow much if I leave it in there?

Also I've got one fork put together, but I'm not sure how to get the allen head bolt in the bottom of the fork tight without the damper rod spinning. I don't want to hit it with an impact driver (like I did to get it loose), for fear of breaking it off at the head or worse. I think the torque spec is 11 - 22 ft-lb.

I'm gonna go pick up some fork oil tomorrow, was thinking 10 wt to start? Manual says 144 ml (4.87 oz), but should I instead bring it up to a certain level above the cartridge emulator? I know a lot of this is gonna be trail and error, just looking for an educated guesstimate.

with a 9KG spring 15 wt is what I use.

I made a tool for my Daytona damper rods, it is a T handle with a metric bolt welded to it, the top of the rod has a 12-point female "socket" the bolt engages.

You  could make a tool that has a couple of pins sticking down that would engage the cross pin with a T handle at the top.

1976RD400C

I have the spring on the Mike's emulator set at 2 turns and I've had 15 wt. oil in mine for several years and last year went to 20 wt.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

JBeasty

15 wt it is then.
I could take a round or flat steel bar and cut a slot in it, good idea 👍
Do you guys put anything on the threads of that allen bolt to seal it, or is that copper/brass washer good enough?
1977 RD400

m in sc

putting stuff on the threads won't seal anything,  the copper washer is plenty. 

JBeasty

Done! 150ml 15w fork oil per leg, emulators set at 2 full rotations firm. Reduced spacer lengths to 32mm (actually just used PVC). This is here more to remind myself where I'm at when I get the bike running.
1977 RD400