Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

i gave in.

Started by kramdua, April 21, 2023, 03:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramdua

my shifter for my controls is very stiff. i did some research and i found someone on this site or another i can't remember. a guy had a post on how he took an old shifter and modified it to make a longer arm for leverage to make shifting easier. yes it does increase travel but for me it is not an issue. i actually have a rd350b shifter but i didn't want to cut it up. i found an aluminum shifter on amazon for $14.00. i can always put it back if i choose.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

LMS

Do you have a link?
I have motocarrera 1st gen rear sets and it kills my foot to shift, does anyone have any kind of fix, or is it inherent to all rear sets? Back in the day I rode a lot of friends' bikes that had rear sets and i don't remember them being this way, maybe it's my tired old feet.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

rodneya

I think that was an old thread by Chuck where he extended the arm.
I got sick and tired of fiddling with linkages and just run a solid lever facing backwards and change gears 1 up 5 down

kramdua

i have also ridden with a reversed stock shifter. i got used to it pretty quick.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

sav0r

I machined a custom lever that added some leverage. It was a lot of work. I should have bought that arm for $15. That wouldn't have solved the issue with the old lever having fallen off though.

www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

TPR5

I did this , too tight for me on the shifter side .

kramdua

so did you extend the shifter for more room for your foot? if so i have a 10.5 size boot i wear and it is just about a perfect fit. i don't remember the brand of rear sets i have but i am sure they are all made from different specs..
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

i machined a longer lever for an old set of motocareras a few years ago for dave, made a big difference, added 1.5" to the total length.

LMS

I might get rid of these and get a set from slipstream in the near future, or I might even try GP shifting which seems interesting. But you still have to down shift, so not sure how much that really helps.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

m in sc

I can honestly say, the speed of cheese ones are the absolute best i have ever used that i have bought, and are the prettiest hands down. the ones on my hybrid i made myself, cnc'd them a long time ago, to fit me. always look for ones with actual roller bearings in the shifter.   :twocents:

kramdua

so far after I have done a couple road tests and adjustments i am pleased with the outcome. i set the actual shifter height to where the top of my foot is almost resting on the shifter for up shifting. to me it does shift much easier.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

TPR5

Yep, I wanted more room for my foot, I'm currently trying it without the extension, seems ok easier to shift with the extension. The brake side I added a spacer to extend the shaft out a little.

kramdua

what size is your foot?
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

i always wear boots when i ride. the boots i wear have a separate heel so it fits into the narrow aluminum foot pegs.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

TPR5