Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Favorite new tool

Started by Economy Cycle John, August 26, 2023, 05:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economy Cycle John

Gyroscopic driver by Dewalt. What new sorcery is this?

This thing is really cool and quickly became one of my favorite "go to" tools. No forward or reverse switch, motion activated 0-430 rpm, just tilt in the direction need to go, tilt more it goes faster, tilt less it slows down. Accurate and controlled, easy to use to get the direction and speed you need. You can drive a bolt/screw really fast at first to get most of the threads in and then slow it down to a crawl when it's almost seated, and without stopping to change speed. Or quickly change direction without taking the bit off the fastener by just tilting the other direction. Adjustable 15 position torque settings, adjustable 2 position handle straight or pistol grip. Bright ring of focused LED's on the fastener, and 3 Led's on the driver for battery charge state, lasts me for days with lots of use. Quick change 1/4" bits.

It's a little strange at first, you squeeze the button and nothing happens, I thought it was defective, I bought two of them and the 2nd one did the same thing, so I decided to read the instructions. Once you get the hang if it though you'll really like it. About a hundred bucks, worth every penny.

www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

STLMike

That would feel very odd at first I think. Certainly has it's purposes in the shop. There will be those who don't like anything but a traditional drill.

pidjones

Wonder about the minimum torque setting. I had a Makita at work that could be set very light, which was great for multi-screw panels that had to come off repeatedly, but needed all screws.

BTW, my favorite for several years has been a long needle nose with a 90 end. Seems I grab them out of habit when tooling up for a task, knowing they will be needed at least once.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

it's interesting, they were developing nut runners at desoutter like that when i was there. the only issue is the reaction can force the tool back and actually cause a slight loosening if you aren't really disciplined with your wrist position. in a wood working situation, i def get it.

the dewalt nut runners i have can be controlled by trigger control (torque/speed). only reason i have 20v stuff is everything else is 20v and all uses the same battery. but, that's def a neat concept and can see the benefit. Interesting it made it to the consumer market.

2steve

So John,
Does this have the fine control that you would need to use with JIS screws on our carbs and intake boot clamps without stripping out the screw heads?

soonerbillz

Quote from: 2steve on August 27, 2023, 04:24:13 PMSo John,
Does this have the fine control that you would need to use with JIS screws on our carbs and intake boot clamps without stripping out the screw heads?

No way I'm ever using power tools on those items.

m in sc

Quote from: soonerbillz on August 27, 2023, 04:45:11 PM

No way I'm ever using power tools on those items.

agreed. the do make micro torque tools but they are def not feasible for home use. $$$

Economy Cycle John

Yes I use it with JIS bits, very controlled and precise, I'll make a video if I get chance. I do lots of carbs with them, not enough room to do manifolds (I use a torque wrench for those), fine for intake boot clamps. No stripping of screw heads, it has a tactile feel so you always know where you are in terms of torque, you can feel the resistance. You can slow it down to a crawl so it never walks out of the heads.

m in sc

well, its less than 100 bucks. maybe i'll try one. always room for another new tool in the box.

also, longer jis bits are around.

https://www.gofastinnovations.com/buynow2/p/qzicrtunxouw5wqnjjfpjer4lwfq4o

2steve

Thank you, John!
My B-day is coming up soon. Maybe the fam can do a collection for this.

RustyRD

I have owned one for almost seven years now, and love it. has enough torque to Sink a 2 1/2" drywall screw if needed. I used it in the biomed field removing access panels, some machines would have tens of screws per panel.

Djg8493

It's funny this just came up as I was using one for the first time last week at work.  I did the same thing in thinking it wasn't working and figured the battery was dead.  I was trying to use it manually when my engineer laughed at me.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

Economy Cycle John

Quote from: Djg8493 on September 05, 2023, 11:48:17 AMIt's funny this just came up as I was using one for the first time last week at work.  I did the same thing in thinking it wasn't working and figured the battery was dead.  I was trying to use it manually when my engineer laughed at me.

yeah once you get past that initial wtf moment, the learning curve is pretty quick

RustyRD

you know one of the best things about a tool such as this is how it helps with issues of wrist that have some arthritic pain. I used it primarily for removing screws and not reinstalling them.