Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RZ350 electronic black boxes

Started by teazer, December 14, 2023, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teazer

I turned on the RZ this morning and the powervalve didn't do it usual cleaning routine.  Battery is fresh and charged so I suspect that the valves were sticky from lack of use. 

I removed the side covers and tank and cleaned all the PV servo connections and that seems to have cleared things, but I can't identify one of the black boxes under the tank.

I did find the CDI/ECU it's a 52Y-50 which seems to be correct for a 48H. And the P/V controller hiding under the seat beside the fuse box.

And the 3 wire old school flasher can was easy to locate, leaving two other units ahead of the CDI. One appears to be the side stand control unit.  It has 4 wire connector plus brown (power). The other has a 6 pin connector and might be the flasher cancelling unit but that's a guess.

The stock pipes are long gone so there's no catalytic convertor wiring or controller as far as I can tell.

Anyone tell for sure what the unit obscuring the coil is and the one to its right?

1976RD400C

Looking at the wiring diagram, you are right. The wire colors are correct for side stand control unit and flasher cancelling unit.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

teazer

Thanks.  The sidestand switch is also not fitted but I would guess that it needs the side stand control unit because it's inked to the gear indicator as well ( I think).

Does anyone know if the Zeel power valve controller is an advantage to the performance?  Yamaha claim it is optimal but some Europeans seem to like changing the curve to a different slope or % open at certain revs table.
On our RS250 Aprilia Cup bikes, the power curve could move quite a bit with changes to when the valves opened.

busa1300

I put a Zeel on my RZ and got the PV points set. Bike fires right up and runs good on some advanced timing that is pre programmed, as well as powervalves opening at a slightly different point. Bike feels great, but no idea if it really makes more power now than it did.
Swapped in the Zeel because originally ignition gave out.
Sadly I have maybe only put about 15 miles on it since the ignition change and addition of the quick shifter
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc

zeel is the way to go. have one on my TZR and had one on my 84RZ. the TZR was fine, but why risk it dying on a ride? the rev limiter and programmable features make it very, very worthwhile. .02