Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Beginning a build, what would you do?

Started by Webber, January 01, 2024, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal250

I would keep the oil pump. :twocents: They're reliable and it will simplify your life.
Rebuild it with new seals if needed. Easy to do and the rebuild kit is available from Economy Cycle.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

svgarage

Quote from: SoCal250 on January 06, 2024, 11:44:42 AMI would keep the oil pump. :twocents: They're reliable and it will simplify your life.
Rebuild it with new seals if needed. Easy to do and the rebuild kit is available from Economy Cycle.
I second the motion. HVC sells the kits too. It's a good chance to make sure everything is set up correctly, so that your ratio is good.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Jspooner

Quote from: svgarage on January 06, 2024, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: SoCal250 on January 06, 2024, 11:44:42 AMI would keep the oil pump. :twocents: They're reliable and it will simplify your life.
I second the motion. HVC sells the kits too. It's a good chance to make sure everything is set up correctly, so that your ratio is good.

I third that, keep the pump. No reason to get rid of it in my opinion. I even run one on my TZ/LC motored TZ replica. On a street bike you will never notice the performance gain or loss, but you will really appreciate the pump when you're at the pump.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

4th vote for the pump as well. I have 3 premix bikes for completely different reasons, and nome of them are worrying about failures or performance reasons. I have 6 others on the oil pump.

Kawtriplefreak

5th vote for keeping the oil pump. Pre-mix on the street is a never ending PITA. The pumps are reliable and if you are uncomfortable rebuilding your own (if it needs it) there are lots of people doing it like John at Economy Cycle.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/engine-related/oil-pump/oil-pump-rebuild-service-rds-r5-ds7-rzs/

svgarage

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on January 07, 2024, 12:01:27 PM5th vote for keeping the oil pump. Pre-mix on the street is a never ending PITA. The pumps are reliable and if you are uncomfortable rebuilding your own (if it needs it) there are lots of people doing it like John at Economy Cycle.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/engine-related/oil-pump/oil-pump-rebuild-service-rds-r5-ds7-rzs/
They're actually a piece of cake to rebuild. Identify your pump and make sure you get the correct kit. I think a lot of the kits give extra gaskets to cover an array of models. Take your time and take pictures.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Webber

6 vs 0 for the keeping the pump. Looks like that's the plan!

Yamanatic

TR3 top end bolts right on; virtually identical to TZ350 porting, and no extra complexity or weight from a cooling system. TR3 cylinders and heads come up for sale fairly regularly and are not as outrageous as a TZ/RZ cylinder, water pump, radiator, and plumbing. It would be a total wheelie machine!

Warren
Of Course It's Gonna Make Some Noise - There's GAS Exploding In There!