News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

73 RD350, Changed oil, old oil didn't fully drain, added oil unknowingly too muc

Started by Karl squire, February 19, 2024, 08:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl squire

Ok as the title says, did a dumb thing, feel a bit silly, I know I'm not the only person to do this, I hope. so drained oil, put new oil in, did it by measuring, not buy checking dipstick. Not all old oil drained, consequently over filled with oil, ran the bike for a while, but not hard at all. Now after riding it leaks oil for  a day or so but not the entire time, only leaks maybe an Oz every time I stop. some of it runs off the kick stand. My question is where is the mostly likely place it will be leaking from, I have had a look but the oil is so clear its hard to detected where its leaking from. Side cover, I did tighten them, also I did change the drain plug to a magnetic drain plug at that time, could that be it ? Then everyone. Cheers Karl

85RZwade

Generally, the countershaft and shift shaft seals, neutral switch and shift rail plugs would be your likely suspects. Specific to your situation, it's likely to be coming from the breather tube.
I post waayyy too much

Karl squire

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 19, 2024, 09:41:30 AMGenerally, the countershaft and shift shaft seals, neutral switch and shift rail plugs would be your likely suspects. Specific to your situation, it's likely to be coming from the breather tube.

Thanks for the heads up, it gives me a place to start, hopefully if its one of the seals it someing I can resolve with out having to split the cases, we will see.

m in sc

probably. even if not, you can change every seal on the LH side w out splitting the cases (except the crank seal). get the overage out though.

RDnuTZ

I would suspect breather tube 1st as well. I had a couple 1981 YZ250s and they were notorious for high crankcase pressure pushing oil out all the time. I moved the crankcase breather hose out to where I could easily see it to watch for leakage after a ride. Obviously, you want to drain and refill to proper level after you verify where leak is coming from. If it's just the breather dripping you might get lucky  :afro:
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)

m in sc

triple are notorious for this as well. you'll see ones that actually get ridden (some) w the tube lengthened and pointed up

Evans Ward

Quote from: m in sc on February 19, 2024, 11:26:40 AMtriple are notorious for this as well. you'll see ones that actually get ridden (some) w the tube lengthened and pointed up

Yep! Ask me how I know.. :omg:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

IR8D8R

C'mon. It's a chain oiler. No coincidence it's normally pointed at the chain.

...Just like the <1966 pre-PCV cars with a crankcase oil vapor vent down the back of the engine. That was a underbody oiler. Those cars didn't rust because the chassis was coated in oil blowback. So was the garage floor, the driveway, AND the middle of the roads. One of the reasons cars made after '66 rusted to pieces. Easy to forget how greasy the stripe down the middle of the lane was then. Exxon Valdez at every stoplight. You couldn't safely ride in the middle of the roadway until after 1990. Still not a good idea...

IR8D8R

m in sc

soonerbillz

My teenage years car was a 62 Chevy Belair straight 6, 3 on the tree.
 It didn't have a pvc but it dud have a breather with a tube to the ground.
 Dirty and nasty but super reliable.