Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Bore Gauge Options

Started by The Red Scourge, November 23, 2019, 07:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

I'm looking for some direction on getting a bore gauge that's not Chinese junk, but isn't a $1,000+ Sunnen gauge.  I know that if I wanted the best performance out of the engine, I should send it to one of the pros here.  I want to learn though.  I've been looking on eBay for used gauges, because anything I can afford new seems shoddy.  I already picked up a Starrett micrometer.  Short of scoring a Sunnen or Mititoyo gauge, what are some quality gauges to look for?  Am I correct in thinking I need a gauge that's in .0001" increments to get good cylinder bore readings? 

I'm looking at a Yuasa gauge right now.  I know they make quality batteries.  Anyone know anything about their gauges?  I can't find much of anything online.  Thanks in advance!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

KANDY

Hi,
I have a Mitutoyo one. Give me a reasonable offer
1974 RD350
1977 RD400
1979 RD400 Daytona Special

The Red Scourge

Really? Wow.  I'll have to look for that.  I haven't seen much in that price range by a reputable company.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

GRA2STROKES

A .0001 gauge is a must for checking bores. But that's only the inspection part of it. Do you have a hone  and a boring machine? I bought my sunnen Mandrel for $260 plus like $60 for the stones. The. You need a way to hold the cylinder and hone it after you bore it. Most have access to none of these things so I would say send your cylinders to get the job bored.

I have about $4000 in my equipment maybe a little more and have yet to make that back yet but I enjoy doing it and know people get a quality job that's right because it's all I do is vintage 2 stroke work similar to chuck. He's a great guy and machinist knows his stuff. Don't just send it to anyone is what I'm saying...

Anyway find an older mitutoyo gauge or Starrett.

If you want help I charge $50 a hole

Garrett

The Red Scourge

Ok thanks!  This is my first foray into cylinder stuff.  At this point, I'm not going to be buying a machine to bore.  I just want to be able measure the bore to see if I'll need to send it out, or if I can hone and install new pistons.  I also want to be able to do the same with 2 stroke dirt bikes. 
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: The Red Scourge on November 23, 2019, 08:14:59 PM
Ok thanks!  This is my first foray into cylinder stuff.  At this point, I'm not going to be buying a machine to bore.  I just want to be able measure the bore to see if I'll need to send it out, or if I can hone and install new pistons.  I also want to be able to do the same with 2 stroke dirt bikes.
Right on...
Yes on the Mitutoyo gauge that Kandy has.
Very good unit under the Sunnen gauge.
Will suit your needs well.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

The Red Scourge

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the advice!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

The Red Scourge

One more question on bore gauges.  I'm confused by the measuring range.  Can't you swap out different length anvils to reach farther distances?  There's a nice Mitutoyo gauge I found, but looking up the model it's range is 1.25-2.5".  I must be missing something about how they operate.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

SUPERTUNE

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

The Red Scourge

'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

sav0r

Shars.com has a few bore gauges. I own one already, but I was on their site the other day looking for other measuring equipment and came across their bore gauges. I have some of Shars house brand measuring tools and they are just as good as my Mitutuyo stuff. I also have some really cheap measuring tools that I bought to use on the mill, getting knocked around, exposed to coolant, etc.. It's surprising how good some of it really is. If you are just measuring a few cylinders here and there you probably don't need $500 tools.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

The Red Scourge

Ok cool, I'll look into Shars.  You're definitely right about me not needing too end stuff, I just need to be able to get reliable measurements.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

IR8D8R

I use MSI - Viking Gage for my company's physical measurement metrology equipment.

https://www.msi-viking.com/Bore_and_Hole_Gages.

If they don't have a gage it's maybe not available. Anyway they are a pretty good company if you want quality tools.

You can at least use them (website) to get part numbers for shopping...

If you buy the right thing it's a lifetime investment. Every time I try to buy off-brand measuring equipment I get burned and kick myself. I would rather spend the cash for Mitutoyo or Starrett.

IR8D8R

KANDY

Bore Gauge, you may already know need a Micrometer to do the measurements. It is rather a comparison of an existing measurement.

1. Measure the piston size by a Micrometer and lock the size.

2. Use the bore gauge and make the needle zero for the locked measurement.

3. Insert the gauge in the bore and compare how much it is off from the measurement (Piston size)

No one asked, why I post this - may be helpful to some one down the road
1974 RD350
1977 RD400
1979 RD400 Daytona Special

The Red Scourge

I appreciate the directions, Kandy.  I love the clarification.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR