News:

135-140 HP CASE REED H2

Built by Henry Wedge. 1st hand experience, it is indeed insane to ride.  :devil:

Main Menu

RD Speedometer cable length

Started by Hawaii-Mike, June 03, 2022, 07:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii-Mike

My RD project with low bars could use a shorter than stock speedometer cable.  I did some searching and it appears that all of the RD's have the same length cable, about 36 inches.  Does anyone know of a shorter stock cable that is compatible - maybe 32-33 inches long?  I would rather not order a custom cable from Motion Pro to keep the cost down.

m in sc

rd200 or 125?  :umm:

side note:  a good clutch solution is to use a 1st gen ex250 ninja cable. only thing you need to do is tap the cable retainer int he case to m8. will work fine if you ever revert back to a stock cable. .02

Hawaii-Mike

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had looked at RD200 and 125 - the cable lengths seem to be equal to RD400.  Some of the smaller RD's have a different connector at the wheel side that wouldn't work with an RD400.

85RZwade

The days of a friendly neighborhood Yamaha dealer may be gone, but I have more than once carried a customer's cable to the parts room and matched something up. In my experience, the cables are usually hanging on a wall and easy enough to eyeball for end connectors, length, etc. Make sure not to make eye contact with the 20-something at the parts counter, don't tell him/her how old your bike is and end all sentences with, like, "I guess".
I post waayyy too much

LMS

This is my first post, go lightly, or not, been on plenty auto forums that can be brutal. This is also the first motorcycle I have ever bought, at the ripe ol age of 60. I'm going to have all sorts of questions where I'm sure there will be lots of eyebrows raised as I don't know wtf I'm doing, per say. The bike is a 75 350 that will go to my son later on. I'm installing clip-ons in the near future, cold as heck here in Chicago, no heated garage. Came upon this thread. I bought the cable below, is it correct? It's from a first gen ninja ex250. The bent metal housing at the perch side isn't at all like the stock cable. The part that goes into the case isn't either. But I understand that one would tap the cable retainer at the case, then screw in said cable, attach, etc. Is this correct or is this flat out the wrong cable.
Thx much!
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

m in sc

thats the cable i've used in the past. you -may- need to open the adjuster nut at the perch a bit and yes, tap the metal block m8x1.25

i think i cured this one a bit tighter than stock to clear the headlight bucket, but you can see the cable works quite well with low bars. fwiw, the frame geometry IS stock on this.

LMS

Ah ha, I get the routing now, pix says it all, makes sense now. Cool bike.
Thx much!
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.