Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Koso RZ350

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 01, 2019, 12:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank B

I've got to say that the install was easier than I expected, the instructions were a little confusing at times but I'm impressed overall.

Baldwin53

How long did it take?

Frank B

The wiring and set up only took a few hours, Tim mounted the unit, and magnets and speedo pickup beforehand.

m in sc

i know for fact the mounting took 2 hours. right frank?  :dawg:  :toot: (INSIDE JOKE)

see, withthis gauge, id consider upper fairing removal, laying it down a  bit. just my .02

Frank B

Kawtriplefreak

Speed sensor and magnets installed.

Kawtriplefreak

Frank B doing his magic with the soldering iron.

Kawtriplefreak

On initial start the tach was inop. We tried to pick up power off of the CDI wires and that was unsuccessful. We placed a quick call to the tech line at Koso where a very nice guy stayed on the phone with us and told us where to get power and what numbers to punch in. We ended up picking up power from the orange (positive) wire on the coil. Tach works perfect. An added bonus that is not mentioned in the literature:
In the absence of a fuel gauge the screen that houses the fuel quantity indicator can be selected as an analog temperature gauge. A digital temperature gauge is viewable on another screen as well. Ran out of time yesterday to test ride.

Kawtriplefreak

We used the cannon plugs and wires off of my spare instrument cluster and matched them up to the Koso supplied harness so this mod is completely reversible. The only thing we can't get to work is the oil quantity light and indicating circuit. We tried every way there is to wire it up and the light is either constant on or off instead of illuminating for 3-4 seconds and going out as it does normally. We tried to hook it up to the Koso oil light wire. The 10MM 1.0 temp sensor went in without a hitch and hooked up to the supplied Koso coolant sensor wire. We verified operation before installing it in the head by holding it in my hand.

m in sc

might be able to get oil light to work off a relay
:twocents:

Kawtriplefreak

Test ride complete. Everything works perfectly except the speedo which reads 1/2 speed. 5500 RPMS in 6th should be 60 MPH and it indicates 29. Upon further careful review of the instructions I found that the six speed sensor magnets are supposed to be installed with either an N or a red line (north side) of the magnets facing out. Look back at the picture above and you will see I have them in opposite of what they should be. I will take them out tomorrow and turn them around the try it again before messing with the settings. We are relatively sure we followed the procedure for computing the circumference of the tire and putting the correct number in. 74 inches converts to 1879.6 MM and that is the number we put. in along with selecting 6 trigger points as they supplied six magnets, one for each bolt in the rotor.
Many thanks to Frank B for all the help and M in SC for the technical advice and harassment. No Ace Hardware galvanized hardware was utilized in this mod and wire nuts were only used for mock up :dawg: :dawg:

m in sc

Kawtriplefreak

We also entertained the idea of mounting a red light next to or under the cluster and hooking up the oil light to that. Also the angle can be changed with the supplied Koso bracket so I may play with that in the future and may also paint the inside of the fairing flat or semi gloss black per M in SC.

Plasticman

I think this is worth adding to the Tech Library.  Looks like a great upgrade for an RZ350.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

m in sc

Not ciritcising here, its  agreat gauge and install. however, i feel is needs a dash or filler to close up the gap around the gauge in reference to the fairing