Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Yamaha TR2

Started by zedixe13, October 27, 2019, 06:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedixe13

Hi guys  , happy to be here again with the 2SW forum , I will pick up this bike next weekend , it's a 1969-70 TR2 350cc , 35th out of the production line so it's an early one . Surprisingly in good shape for an old racer with beautiful wheels and a straight aluminium gas tank , I'm looking at returning it to its former glory . As you can see someone spirited added some gears to ride it on the street . What puzzle me at the moment is the motor , a RD350 73-75 in race trim with a stamped serial number beginning with the model code 351 and 351 relate to a Japanese market only RX350Pro . What is a RX350 pro ? Not much available on the net about it. No history come with it but Yvon Duhamel rode one at Daytona with a record lap of 242 km/h , maybe ...

It will need the correct red front fender , tach meter with support an a throttle to replace the RD one .

What it should look like

RDFL

Very nice looks good the way it is.

m in sc

351 = def. aircooled rd. the  left engine cover 73-up rd.  the cyl fin layout i believe is the real indicator of what the topend is off of as well. I'm pretty sure the fins are 'staggered' on the tr3 cyls. thats a stock rd topend from what i can see as well.

my initial feeling is its a tr3 chassis with aircooled rd driveline.. which IMHO is ideal for a street ridden ex race bike if thats what you are going for.. its a very cool find though. def worth cosmetic restoration, im a bit jealous..

AAAltered

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

zedixe13

After some research , the 351 model relate to a Japanese market version of the R5 , could this be a factory replacement motor ?

zedixe13

One front wheel ( 4LS ) sold on eBay lately for $2000. USD

idr5c

I am insanely jealous, great find!!!!!  :whoop:
Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494
http://www.wmrra.com

m in sc

i seriously doubt that's accurate. I own serial number 2000 70 r5. it starts 'r5... '   theres a '1600' series one at barber, same thing. thats an rd bottom end. 351 is only rd350. 352 is rd250. ds7 is 'ds7' and  early 'tz' cases.

bitzz

Yep. 351 xxxxx is a regular ol' Rd350
Check the number on the head stock, I betcha you got a RD350 with a early TZ tank, swing arm and wheels.
Those pipes are interesting. how are they affixed to the jug? What is the head pipe diameter?
Piston port or reed block?

If you're looking for TZ/TR/TD parts
jim   at   bitzz   dot  com
I'm near Peterborough.

bitzz

Quote from: idr5c on October 28, 2019, 01:07:15 PM
I am insanely jealous, great find!!!!!  :whoop:

No need to be jealous. Old Yamaha racers are easy to find... ya just have to pony up the cash.

... so actually you're not jealous, you're envious.

Jspooner

Quote from: bitzz on October 28, 2019, 02:44:27 PM
Yep. 351 xxxxx is a regular ol' Rd350
Check the number on the head stock, I betcha you got a RD350 with a early TZ tank, swing arm and wheels.
Those pipes are interesting. how are they affixed to the jug? What is the head pipe diameter?
Piston port or reed block?

If you're looking for TZ/TR/TD parts
jim   at   bitzz   dot  com
I'm near Peterborough.

I don't think that's an RD frame. If it is someone did a nice job of making it look like a TD or TR frame. Hard to tell for sure with the side panels on. Look at the rear hangers on the pipes too.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

I agree w you joe, thats what i was driving at, race chassis with street motor. id guess, they gut up a 73 judging by the side cover emblems and split fin heads. is the engine number 351-1****? if so, 73 RD350 motor.

I do remember seeing stuff on the usa 2 stroke site like 10 years ago about rd 'pro models' with disc brakes, etc, but i think that was all fabricated BS or prototype stuff? beats me. never production though. If so, was so stupid rare no one has ever seen one.

RDFL

m in sc

im pretty sure it was a pre production model with the disc, or prototype. regardless, they had piston port motors if they actually did exist in that format. And they never used the 351 designation.  Sorry, '351' prefix just didn't exist in yamaha world until 1973 production. Russ has probablyt he most comprehensive list of yamaha numbers on hand, maybe he will chime in.

RDFL

What I saw was first 2 years were drum third was disc. First year was red great paint scheme. https://japan.webike.net/YAMAHA/RX350/852/m-spec/y1970/