Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Harley

Started by RDFL, November 05, 2019, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

Interesting. Very interesting. Thx! Looks a LOT different than their other offerings.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

gwcrim

I hope it does well but it will probably be half as capable as  KTM and twice the price.  It will have great chrome skull accessories, no doubt.

rd400canuck

It looks HEAVY. That might kill them when there are other offerings like the KTMs etc. I have to hand it to Harley... they seem to be trying break out of their mold from time to time and attract younger/different riders.

RDFL

I guess that electric bike is out already, been talk of it for years.

m in sc

livewire is out. then production stopped. the restarted.  :whistle:  These guys are so behind the 8 ball its like they are on another table all together.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/livewire.html

I mean, since we are going to talk harley, lets talk. Keep it civil.  :patriot:

Personally, i think they will be bought out int he next 10 years, maybe sooner, or crash and fold then get reborn (probably the best option.. Indian, triumph, etc). They are just way too late to the game with these offerings at the price points.

RDFL

I have tons of friends with Harleys I may kid but don't bash, as they do me, sounds like a vacuum cleaner, or a bumble bee as one said about my ZX900 I had years ago painted yellow and black. That Livewire looks cool, bet is a blast to ride instant throttle response. Wouldn't pay that much for it though.

RDFL

More potential offerings, the little commuter thing and the flat tracker looking one are interesting. The regular bicycle one might sell too at least looks like they are trying.  https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/electric.html

RDryan

Quote from: RDFL on November 07, 2019, 05:08:50 PM
I have tons of friends with Harleys I may kid but don't bash, as they do me, sounds like a vacuum cleaner, or a bumble bee as one said about my ZX900 I had years ago painted yellow and black. That Livewire looks cool, bet is a blast to ride instant throttle response. Wouldn't pay that much for it though.

Ironically and your friends who own Harleys may not be aware of this...Harley made a plant out in Asia so they could make a more affordable product overseas. I recall reading about that a couple of years ago in the New York times. One serious Asian customer was very unhappy about this as had bought several Harleys imported from the US. He felt the brand being made in his country would devalue his investment. I don't really have a dog in that fight but I will say it takes guts for an American company to stay in America. It probably means they would have to forfeit potential sales whilst being true to the name brand. Now I may get called out on this but I really don't think Harley minds being an worldwide company.

I wonder how the Livewire stacks up to a Zero? Which by the way I am absolutely intrigued with the prospect of an electric motorcycle. I think with the way the world is going with tackling the issues of climate change and fossil fuel impact on it then we may all be forced into anything electric powered. Therefore all our gas powered bikes, cars whatever will go the way of the dinosaur. Maybe not five years from now but who knows...it seems 11k scientists say we gotta act fast. However if theres only a handful of places to plug that bike in then what good is it?

gwcrim

Quote from: RDryan on November 07, 2019, 07:12:57 PMNow I may get called out on this but I really don't think Harley minds being an worldwide company.

Those 500 and 750 bikes were aimed at the global market.  Harley knows it needs to be global. 

I love that new Bronx bike.  I loved the Buells, too.  My big gripe is that they wasted the original Revolution motor in the fugly V-Rod.  That should have been melded into a Sportster chassis to keep that marque relevant.  That may come about yet.

Kawtriplefreak

Amen to that. I considered a V-Rod. I actually kind of like the early ones. But like you said appearance wise they just don't do it for me.

RDFL

Just looked up V Rod look pretty good to me. except the goofy mufflers which isn't their fault obviously cats in them.

gwcrim

The V Rod had too much rake, forward controls (a very few had mids), and strange styling.  They did handle decent enough and the power was astounding by HD standards.

This new engine is called the Revolution Max.  I believe it's an evolution of the original V Rod Revolution.

Organicjedi

The V-Rod had a good engine, but not a great chassis.

Harley is making strides in Japan and India. They talk of attracting new and younger riders, but their price point says something else.

quocle603

I heard the new electric HD leaks oil.  :whistle:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC