News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Daytona Project

Started by 1979DaytonaSpecial, November 22, 2019, 05:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUPERTUNE

I'll go and look at some notes I have and come and post back. Your on the right train of thought.
I don't think I run them above 34mm (*188-*189) for street bikes, maybe 33mm on the F-500 RR engines.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

1979DaytonaSpecial

I finally got the chance to clean up the cyl's a bit and took some pic's.

SUPERTUNE

Looks nice other than the Primary's need some work to take it to the next level.
What the hell reed cages are in it to grind out so much of the intake track?
With modern V-Force reed cages don't need that much hogged out, But I get it for old school, This is what we did back then before VF reeds!
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

1979DaytonaSpecial

I bought the bike in 84, parked it in 86. So, this was what was going on 35 years ago...

Memory was a little cloudy, but I kinda remembered RZ 350, so I just did a search, and they look to be the same. If I were to bore it I would consider updating the port work, but everything is still tight enough to run as is.  I wonder if the intake's on my heads are large enough to fit the VFORCE4 V4144-2 that fits the Banshee and RD's
Here are a pic of mine":

The pistons I had thrown in the wash bin, and just solvent brushed them clean, their was no blowby past the rings:

1979DaytonaSpecial

I haven't done anything since my last post, other than buying a stand. Now I have some time, I'll get the motor out and apart and get the frame and suspension cleaned up. All the brakes are crap, have to figure out what to about them, I don't think there's much in stock replacement parts or new complete assemblies ?

SUPERTUNE

You can still get rebuild caliper kits from Yamaha, but no oem for the rear master cylinder. Just replace the front master cylinder with a 2015-2018 SR400 complete unit.
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

aamrr177

For the rear brake on my Daytona resto-mod I went with a 1988 FZR1000 caliper, bracket, and disk.   The only modifications I had to do was removing some material from the bracket to get it to fit between the wheel and swingarm.  Since I didn't want to bend the brake stay arm on the swingarm, I made an "H" shaped adapter.

For the front I went with an R1 caliper and disk, but that meant making a whole new mounting bracket for the caliper to move it outward and a 1/2" spacer for the disk.  The gap between the caliper and the wheel spokes is a bit tighter than I would prefer, but it does clear.   The stopping power is phenomenal.

1979DaytonaSpecial

I needed to replace my tank, it was to far gone, so I picked up this NOS one that showed today, it has a couple minor flaws but nothing I can't live with.

There's a NOS one on ebay I was watching, but the guy want's $4,000 for it, which is ridiculous, and it's been there a long time, and I don't see it selling anytime soon.