Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5B decaf

Started by Greaser Greg, November 25, 2019, 12:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

Washers on spring screws cause problems.
UPDATE: Wrong! It wasn't the screws, the first, or inner, thrust washer was installed backward, reducing clearance of the whole assembly. 
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Greaser Greg

Scorch marks on generator cover and points plate caused by worn insulation. Maybe why only running on one cylinder.

Greaser Greg

Well, everyone needs to experience buying someone else's first cafe conversion, not running, right?!
Seals with ridges intact, and installed backward never help with proper combustion, do they?
Next I'll get into the wiring!

Hawaii-Mike

Decaf = returning to closer to original condition?  Yes!

m in sc

those washers wont cause that rubbing as the seat of the bolt is what sets the height. somebody did that to preload the springs, Ive actually done that before. but it doesn't change the overall height of the bolt in relation to the clutch and side-cover. you probably have a hybrid 6/7 plate clutch attempt going on in there.

idr5c

Quote from: m in sc on December 02, 2019, 02:19:27 PM
.......you probably have a hybrid 6/7 plate clutch attempt going on in there.

This. Sometimes they will clear (my race DS7 for example) and sometimes they don't (my R5).
Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494
http://www.wmrra.com

Greaser Greg

I actually had that realization about the springs while waking up this morning.   :dawg:
Well, it's the spider web pressure plate, with six fibers and seven steels, no inner thrust washer, so, yeah, some kind of hybrid. :busey: I will have a  look at the basket to see if I can figure it out.  The last steel plate is flush with the teeth on the inner hub.
doesn't taking out the first thrust washer without changing to a regular washer, like the second one, cause the gear or case to wear out?

m in sc

chuck mentioned it earlier about the stepped vs non stepped washer in the other clutch thread.  the easy way to make sure its got the correct washer behind the basket is to look if the faces of the primary gear vs the clutch gear are flush to each other along the rotational axis. if i remember correctly, if you have the wrong one in there, the gears wont be flush face to face.

that may be part of it. I dunno, its always a game when mixing and matching clutch parts.

Greaser Greg

Here's what I found.
The seventh fiber plate ends up slightly proud of the basket fingers. Seventh steel plate is actually just shy of flush, not flush like in my last post. There is no inner washer of either type.
So, is the seven fiber plate clutch basket taller than earlier clutch baskets? Having no washer of either type just seems wrong, but if the gears end up flush on a plane then it's good? Cases are apart so I won't be putting it back together right away, guess I can do a dry run to check the gear alignment.  :bang: :cheerleader:

m in sc

are you using r5 steels? they are thicker than rd ones. still wont fix the bolts from hitting the case though.

Greaser Greg

No idea. This is what it looks like as I purchased it.

m in sc

banshee steels will fit and they are thinner.  :patriot:

Greaser Greg

Look like early six plate to me.

Greaser Greg

Is the pressure plate in above pic to far above basket? Obviously, it is or wouldn't have scraped. But, does that look right or too far out?
The friction plates are quite a bit thicker than my other bike, (UPDATE:I have realized that the plates do not cause the pressure plate bolts to change their distance from the cover.) which had never been opened and has 11,000 miles on odo. ((WRONG)That would stand to reason for the scraping.) No inner thrust washer seems like a bad idea.

UPDATE:  I found the inner thrust washer! :whistle: 'twas still on the bagged input shaft, backwards!  I believe that was causing the reduction of clearance to the case. That, and a tiny ding on one of the pressure plate bolt seats keeping the bolt proud by a royal c.h.. Don't I feel silly, but educated.  Thanks everyone for helping me work through this. :whistle: :whistle:

The cover is the one that requires a plug in the orifice below the kick shaft. 278-15421-00, which is different than the cover on Rusty, my other R5, which does not have the extra hole, but it does have an area that looks to be a modified casting with the hole closed off. Or, maybe the factory added the hole later? (part #'s are the same).  Maybe the hole is for a sight glass on other models? :umm:

Greaser Greg

Bent shift shaft? No problem!