News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Colin and I live nr Oxford UK. I've been dicking with cars n bikes for a good few years now, 45 to be exact.

I'd owned a '82 CBX550 for nearly 20 years before hacking it about a bit.

That's not why I'm here though. I had acquired a bare Honda 400/4 frame which I got a V5 in my name so I could play with it.
I fancied a bit of ringadingding in my life so thought to build myself a two stroke flat tracker style run around.

I love a rummage around a swapmeet, and found a pair of Paoili forks and Honda NSR125 6xspoke alloy wheels....which was a start.
A facebook deal landed a Suzuki SB200 engine inc carbs, needing a crank rebuild.

A quick fit up looked promising, engine mounts weren't too far out, infact the rear upper was the same and the front just needed mounting plates cutting out. The underside mounts will need some work but nothing too involved...so it was good to go on the concept.

Needing a tank I fancied the look and style of a Honda CB200, loving the chrome strips and padded centre section....which would run into the seat I had in mind nicely.

Microns turned up next, they're for a 350LC but I think I can make them work?

Now this is where it get tricky....the NSR wheels are staying, but trying to make them work with the Paioli forks - disc/caliper alignment mounts all conflicted and meant engineering beyond my simple garage/shed means....so, NSR125 forks were drafted in to KISS....and a few attmepts at taper bearings sees them fitting a treat. The entire front end is NSR and should work well.

So, I now have the basic layout, including the seat unit. Did I mention the Suzuki GS1100E alloy swingarm? This is lovely piece of kit and it was defo going on whatever it took. It took a custom spindle turned out of stainless and slimmer needle rollers as well as a small cut across the spindle width to fit the 400/4 frame.

I now need rear spindle (Yamaha Diversion 600) tophat spacers making up to complete the rear end. A brake torque bar to secure the rear caliper and a brake pedal too.

Bars, levers and switches are sourced and should work, tank is close to being mounted along with the seat unit which will have a removeable padded seat (in mid blue suede) to acces oil tank and battery.

Due to the footrest placement being out of line with the kickstart swing, I thought to find a starter motor kit.....I actually found a GT200 engine, complete except for the barrel (which I have) along with 22mm GT carbs and 5x speed box of course. So full GT spec lump which worked out well.

Here's a few random images to bring you up to date, thanks for reading so far.

I plan on updating this thread as I go....I'm pushing this build to have a finished, running MOTable bike by Spring 2020. Lots to do as each part really needs to be thought through....one off builds are very very work intensive as I have found to my cost haha!

That's all folks.

Gil Gallad

one off builds are very labour intensive is an understatement, especially when you don't have access to milling/cnc machinery, lathes etc. i'm just doing a shed build, suzuki gt350 engine - yes, i know they never made one, so i built one, 64 x 54 bore and stroke - and put it in a kawasaki gpx250 rolling chassis. i love it, but there are times i wish i'd never started it  ;D
cheers, gil.
ps, got a good mate who lives near oxford [wantage] and he loves 2 strokes as well.

Hawaii-Mike

Interesting projects!  The CB400F gas tank is a classic.

NoRiders

Quote from: Gil Gallad on December 01, 2019, 04:32:08 PM
one off builds are very labour intensive is an understatement, especially when you don't have access to milling/cnc machinery, lathes etc. i'm just doing a shed build, suzuki gt350 engine - yes, i know they never made one, so i built one, 64 x 54 bore and stroke - and put it in a kawasaki gpx250 rolling chassis. i love it, but there are times i wish i'd never started it  ;D
cheers, gil.
ps, got a good mate who lives near oxford [wantage] and he loves 2 strokes as well.

I have a tame turner who can/will knock me up a few parts in stainless which is very handy. He made a very neat tacho drive blank on the CBX and the swingarm spindle on the Suzonda. He'll make the rear axle spacers I need too.

Your project sounds interesting....I'll check it out. Is it on here?

Wantage is 20 mins from me.

NoRiders

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on December 01, 2019, 05:08:34 PM
Interesting projects!  The CB400F gas tank is a classic.

Thanx...if it turns out as I plan it'll be OK I reckon. Might turn a few heads down the biker cafe.

I had to have the CB400/4 tank on the CBX as it is a classic, slabsides, flat bottom and flip cap  8)

I also love the CB200 tank for it quirkiness.....I'll cover the padded section with the same mid blue suede on the seat pad.

NoRiders

Exhaust mounts arrived...poly in blue....thinking it'd do the job, not the prettiest though and it looks a bit cumbersome.

I will trim it a touch and it'll be against a grey frame too.

The Micron rear mount tab might need a slight bend to align surfaces and look less shit.

I'll need to glass in some timber risers/spacers to have the seat unit sit where I think it suits best. Lines up with the tank snugly and sits right at the rear IMO.

So this might be the final position for both tank and seat unit.

Small steps....thanks for checking in  ;D

m in sc

they seem to be hanging really low. id pie cut the headpipe, get the belly closer tot he frame and rethink that mount at the back.  :twocents:  I like where this is going though.  :metal:

zedixe13

I had a CBX550 for over 17 years , in Canada you could still get a new 1983 in the crate in 1990 at your dealer for $1600. CAD

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on December 02, 2019, 02:17:32 PM
they seem to be hanging really low. id pie cut the headpipe, get the belly closer tot he frame and rethink that mount at the back.  :twocents:  I like where this is going though.  :metal:

Yeah, I have you right. There's a spigot bolted to the barrel which the downpipe slides onto, I think I can alter the angle to change the position of the exhaust and get the rear up while still clearing the frame. The tight point if where the expansion chamber meets downpipe. Then I can remodel the rear mount so it's a cleaner fit. Thank you

PIOUGHD_RD350

Micron pipes are so sexy!
I had a pair on a RZ350 that both went to the right aide.
I kinda wanted to leave the bike in the living room. So, I could just stare at the pipes.
Haha
You have a great build going.
Great job and vision!
Mixing gas, and hauling a$$!!!
1975 Yamaha RD350 with LC top
2003 Derbi GPR50 with YZ125 motor
1989 Yamaha YSR50 1978 Puch Magnum 2018 Tomos Sprint 2005 Yamaha Zuma

NoRiders

Quote from: PIOUGHD_RD350 on December 03, 2019, 11:29:04 AM
Micron pipes are so sexy!
I had a pair on a RZ350 that both went to the right aide.
I kinda wanted to leave the bike in the living room. So, I could just stare at the pipes.
Haha
You have a great build going.
Great job and vision!

Ha..I agree, these are meant for a RD350LC so I'm cobbling them together. I'm thinking along the lines of fresh flanges with pre bent angled pipe cuts to allow the system to sit at a different angle out of the barrel. Just found an ace website that sell mandrel bends, flanges etc...everything I'll need to piece something workable together I hope.

Slice this up to give me the angle I'd want

The exit spigot is fixed by the twobolt flange, the system slides onto the spigot, the end is double skinned, and held with two springs. By elongating and angling the spigot I hope the system will sit at a more suitable angle.

I'll fiddle and see what'd be needed....thanks for your comments, cheers

m in sc

ID CUT THE SPIGOT, RE-ANGLE RIGHT AT THE HEAD, THEN WELD IT BACK ON.  :twocents:

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on December 03, 2019, 01:02:57 PM
ID CUT THE SPIGOT, RE-ANGLE RIGHT AT THE HEAD, THEN WELD IT BACK ON.  :twocents:

I think it needs to extend a touch longer so the system can rock up n back and still clear the frame cradle. A nicely curved angle on an extended spigot would look/work better rather than a sharp cut n weld I reckon. Total cost around £50 not cheap but it'll look more like it was meant to be there.

m in sc

true. many ways to approach it, should be good.  :toot:

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on December 03, 2019, 01:26:53 PM
true. many ways to approach it, should be good.  :toot:

Ha...keep a look out ;)