Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 01, 2022, 10:59:20 AM
Glad to see you back and Happy New Year, Colin!
Sorry about the frustration, but I think you're on the verge of success. Those fantastic wheels will be rolling soon!  :thumbs:

Thanx Wadey....I'm all revved up n ready to roll.

Just did a compression test on the Suzuki GT200/X5 lump and the readings are 35psi on both cylinders. This is on the low side I reckon....but at 6.9:1 should I expect 100psi+?

pidjones

Throttles wide open? Kicked over firmly until it wouldn't go higher (5 - 10 kicks)?
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

NoRiders

Quote from: pidjones on January 02, 2022, 06:23:55 AM
Throttles wide open? Kicked over firmly until it wouldn't go higher (5 - 10 kicks)?

Yup, wide open and wet the 35psi (dry) increased to 40psi. Spinning it over on the starter a good few times, gauges settles and that's it.

I've got a fresh igniter incoming that will be the last piece in the chain to be replaced apart from the stator windings. The puzzler is...it ran/revved 18months ago??

NoRiders

In lieu of the igniter arriving, I'm playing with front guard size/shape/position etc. Fabricating a mount to utilise the existing fork lugs and have cut n shut a Honda CBX guard I had left from my Brat-Bike build.

It'll be matt black to blend with the tyre and give the illusion of no guard, flat tracker style but practical, ya know.

What you see in white will be black and the black rear bit may stay as I quite like the overall length and how it sits. It still needs trimming and fine tuning as I'd just disc cut it down.

m in sc

looking great. i really dig that headlight nacelle.  :nana:

85RZwade

:eek: I'm amazed that nobody has asked about the VW with the Texaco door sticker yet! Colin, is there a story?
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 09, 2022, 09:49:20 PM
:eek: I'm amazed that nobody has asked about the VW with the Texaco door sticker yet! Colin, is there a story?

Hi Wadey, Yup, there's a story alright. Owned the '71 for 15 years, done a body restoration around 10-11 years ago, the usual lower 8" and a paint job......most of the work I did myself except the actual welding and shooting the paint, all prep, fabrication and panel alignment done in a 3x3m gazebo outside at my mates workshop. Around 6 years ago, in order to fit the wheel I wanted, the rear drive/suspension and front beam were swapped out, machined brakes to suit etc. Small 1641cc engine with twin carbs and freeflow zorst peps it up a bit, it keeps up with modern traffic and is an easy, reliable drive. The Texaco decal was always on the cards with the 5pointed star repeated in the pinstriping.

NoRiders

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on January 09, 2022, 06:59:43 PM
looking great. i really dig that headlight nacelle.  :nana:

Thanx....a CD175 unit as I liked the speedo shape and it kinda sits well with the rest of the bodywork.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 12, 2022, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: NoRiders on January 12, 2022, 05:24:30 AM
BTW: It fired up!!  :cheerleader:  :clap:

Which? The beetle or the bike? Say the bike...

Yup, the bloody thing fired up right after I'd cleaned that threeway Generator/CDi feed connector. I hadn't touched any other part except to disconnect the battery. A squirt of gas up the carb throat, 2 stabs on the starter and that thing fired up, revved a bit, ticked-over then cut due to fuel starvation. I'm very happy.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 13, 2022, 03:52:18 PM
"And there was much rejoicing"

Persackerly....and now the teardown for frame work/paint.  :burnout:

NoRiders

Let the tear down begin, really not looking foward to this....

NoRiders

I did uncover my oil tank cut n shut...still like how it worked out :) Just need to open a 50mm hole in the carrier to access the bottom AN outlet for the feed pipe access.

Will have it tig'd in a couple of places on the cage.