Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irk_miller

NoRiders

Thank you all for your kind regards gentlemen. 
I'm ready for an MOT.

NoRiders

You know I stated last week I'm ready for an MOT?...well, it's tomorrow!!

Fitted the following to make it absolutely ready.

New Domino grips in grey/black that fit the Beta twister - they look just right.

MOT regulation registration/number plate affixed on pads - a horrid 8x6" lump :/

1x 20mm rear reflector attached - dinky things, probably keep it on tbh.

A quick whizz up the road and all appears well...fingers x'd

I'll let you all know :)

m in sc

Thats a nice result! looks great.

from the camera angle the rear frame rails poking out seem sort of weird. But i love it over all the execution is  :celebrate:. I think its going on the site masthead soon.   :thumbs: need more pics. 

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on June 16, 2022, 02:45:14 PM
Thats a nice result! looks great.

from the camera angle the rear frame rails poking out seem sort of weird. But i love it over all the execution is  :celebrate:. I think its going on the site masthead soon.   :thumbs: need more pics.

Blimey...thanks.
I am still considering the rear subframe, I'm reluctant to chop it, but maybe painted black might work? Or I use them as number mounts...hmmm?

These images are shot on my phone sat out back of my place. I'd love better images, setting and composition, we'll see.

NoRiders

:cheerleader: yay, UK MOT has passed. My local bike shop is very handy and John knows his stuff. I'm pleased he gave the build a thumb's up :)

minor advisories:
Raise the angle of the rear brake pedal so it clearances the Micron when depressed.
Slight weep on l/s fork seal
No chain guard

So, a clean bill of health :)

Still need to seal the exhaust spigot from splattering oil over the engine etc. Going to use RGV see how that copes.
At least it's delivering oil, maybe a drop too much....but I've yet to ride it any distance and get the engine hot....I'm still running in tbh. More oil is better than not enough I reckon.

Appropriate tool rack...(that's not John btw)

The colour scheme really pops in the sunshine...me likey.

So, like has been said a million times....they're never finished.....keep checking in guys, thank you for all the help, advice and comments. I sometimes finish a job just to post up progress....which gets the job done.

pidjones

Congrats on getting legal! Be careful to not use too much sealant. The oil has to go somewhere, and if not seeping out it will probably collect in the expansion chamber.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

NoRiders

Quote from: pidjones on June 17, 2022, 10:11:10 AM
Congrats on getting legal! Be careful to not use too much sealant. The oil has to go somewhere, and if not seeping out it will probably collect in the expansion chamber.

Thanx....I need to reduce the oil consumption but retain adequate flow. The splatter is not inconsiderable over a few miles, so somthing must be done. Maybe wheelying will empty the Microns? ;)

NoRiders

Having removed the handlebar pad, sprayed and fitted the rather smart
Domino grips to the Beta throttle.
I'm liking the view.

I've removed the Microns and brake cleanered the collar to rid the oil, popped a piece of exhaust string and RTV....all fitted back in place and awaiting the RTV to set....here's hoping.

I'm hoping to debut it at a popular Cassington annual bike night nr Oxford UK next Monday.  :)

NoRiders

So, trying to tune the carbs to make it run better. It's very much trial and error as I have zero experience in dialing in carbs to expansion pipes. However, it would run like it was bogging down, like it was rich and overfuelling....ful throttle would have it go slower!! But, feathering the throttle saw some improvement in the engine revving, select a gear and it would bog...drop it down one and it seemed to rev but possibly wheel/speed driven as there would be a slight improvement in revs, but bog down again with a very slow pick up.

So, I adjusted the needle one groove up to lean it out....blimey, much better revs and general pick up...far less boggy and much more responsive and lively, pulled the plugs and they appear to be OK colour...bearing in mind I've only gone up the road n back....so think I might've sorted it for now.

There is a 2stroke tuning shop not too far away which may see me book it on for a proper set up tune?

It is still running in.

Does what I've explained make sense to those of you with more 2stroke experience? Any hints n tips welcomed, thank you.

NoRiders

Quite despondent at the moment...the bike ran OK, was tuning it and then it ran a bit netter...then an extended test run saw it stutter to a halt and no wit refuses to fire up. There is a spark and fuel. Fully charged battery and it spins over like a demon, it even tried to start...then nothing. Even Easystart won't see it fire.

Changed plugs, CDi, double earthed the coil, checked connections, set throttle slides.
What can it be?

Could the timing have slipped enough to stop it starting? Thought it was a set n forget?

We're at a loss and I'm considering sticking it in somewhere to sort it, regardless of cost :/

SoCal250

That really sucks that it went kaput on you. Since you're verified that you have spark and fuel I would double-check timing, just for sanity.
Also maybe do a quick compression test. Both are easy and you can at least rule them out quickly if tests are OK
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

irk_miller

Not sure what system you have for charge and igniton, but as seems to be common, my Powerdynamo rotor kept spinning at high revs.  It would get at least 30 degrees off stranding me.  My neighbor towed me one of those times.  Often, I could get it to fire, but not run.  It would never get me home. Kept happening until I machined my own thick, flanged washer and I installed a longer bolt.

NoRiders

Quote from: SoCal250 on July 02, 2022, 01:33:36 PM
That really sucks that it went kaput on you. Since you're verified that you have spark and fuel I would double-check timing, just for sanity.
Also maybe do a quick compression test. Both are easy and you can at least rule them out quickly if tests are OK

Thnx, I think timing is the next thing to check. Compression feels good, with my finger over the plughole at least.
A head scratcher for sure ??

NoRiders

Quote from: irk_miller on July 02, 2022, 03:35:18 PM
Not sure what system you have for charge and igniton, but as seems to be common, my Powerdynamo rotor kept spinning at high revs.  It would get at least 30 degrees off stranding me.  My neighbor towed me one of those times.  Often, I could get it to fire, but not run.  It would never get me home. Kept happening until I machined my own thick, flanged washer and I installed a longer bolt.

Yes, I'll pull the cover off and check, thank you.