News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Hello, new to the forum, however not new to RDs. Here is my project with suspension swap underway.

85RZwade

Looking forward to more about this! Approaching a similar transformation with an RD myself, and although my mono shock design is different , I'm interested to see how you worked it out. Which Ninja is the suspension donor?
Wade
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Wade
The donor bike was a 2004 ninja 250. The swap has been fairly straight forward, and I plan on using a different triple tree. All balls racing was used to source the bearing for the fork swap.
Russ.

RustyRD

Another view of upper shock mount location.

RustyRD

Rear swap nearing completion.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Curious as to why you chose the 2004 ninja 250 for parts.  The wheels are 16" and tires are not widely available. A 2008 or newer parts bike offer better suspension which still is functionally/dimensional similar to that of the pre gen ninjette.
Most importantly the rims are 17" which opens up a world of options for you.
I have a 74 RD250 that I am doing a similar but different thing on. I will retain the conventional twin shock layout but use 2009 Ninja 500 fork, 17" rims and brakes. I will modify the 500 swing arm to fit the RD frame and accept the shocks.

RustyRD

Hello  It was more about the deal. The 04 ninja was free, and the prospect of a budget build flashed through my brain. I have kept in mind if I did not like the swap I would revert back to twin shock. Wheel are 7lbs lighter than the old RDs. both sets of wheels were weighed ready to ride.  Modification on this project will be ongoing. This will be a street bike only, and strictly a hobby. The ultimate goal is having fun.

m in sc

you can get bt45s in the 16"ninja sizes. well, you could. I think you still can.  :twocents:

RustyRD

Thanks for the heads up on the tires. Ihave a set of Pirelli MT75 now. I will try these as I shake down the build. Waiting on heads and cylinders to return from Supertune. I like a deal.

85RZwade

I can relate to the budget build. I am constantly looking at what I can do with what I already have, much of which came to me free or cheap needing a home.
I had a Nighthawk S with a 16" front BT45 years ago, and it was just fine. Still using BT45s on my RZ...but not often enough!
Wade
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

I get lots of satisfaction creating something from items on hand, and obtained free or low cost. Building a bike that handles and hauls the mail cheap is half the fun. I have owned two RZs both were 85 models, and miss both. The first was purchased new, and had FPP pipes and boysen dual stage reeds. I rode with a group that all riders were on liter size bikes and enjoyed them all being amazed at the RZ's performance.

soonerbillz

I love seeing folks building budget bikes.. and I've used anything and everything in my possession to build up bikes. I like what you are doing..
My comments were strictly to express my experience in the little ninja .
As for your build .. what shock are you using ..if it is the factory ex250 part I can recommend a better path.
A 2006-2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 shock will fit with very little modification.
It beefier, has better adjustability and has a integrated gas reservoir.
I have installed these on many ninja 250's.
They are plentiful on Ebay for cheap too!
Good luck!

RustyRD

Thanks for the direction on the rear shock, I am a firm believer in applying advise from experienced individuals. Supertune has been the receiver of my build budget dollars at this point. Ignition and carbs are next, then powder coat of the frame. I guess I cant leave out seat and paint.

Gil Gallad

i used a gsx-r400 shock on my ninja frame. needed a bit of work on the top mount, but nothing too serious, then added a bracket for the remote res. the hard bit was building the cradle for the suzuki gt350 engine - that's a 64mm x 54mm proper 350  :vroom:
cheers, gil.