News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

So to save money on rear sets I looked to the little ninja again, and with a little modification to the frame tabs the ninja rear sets were part of the RD. 

RustyRD

I am really looking forward to the music these jewels can make. Gary Shumake's Spec2 F1 pipes. I have to decide whether to leave natural or paint.

85RZwade

Gorgeous.  :drool: One vote for natural finish!
Wade
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Well spent some time working on painting cylinders after Mr. Supertune has performed his magic on them. Paint on the cylinder and head.  :clap:
stage one porting and head machined and squish dialed in. Rz manifolds and yz85 reed cages Team Scream Racing reed spacer with stainless hardware. Vape ignition hopefully will arrive on Monday.

paul1478

Quote from: RustyRD on January 11, 2020, 11:17:59 PM
I am really looking forward to the music these jewels can make. Gary Shumake's Spec2 F1 pipes. I have to decide whether to leave natural or paint.
I love them natural. just Mop and glow. only problem is the head pipes get black after a while. just need to wet sand lightly and reapply.
and if you ever spill any gas on them need to reapply or they will start to rust.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

RustyRD

Thanks Paul. I'm afraid if I paint them I will always be reworking the paint on them. My Z1-r had a painted header at one time and I spent too much time repainting them.  I wonder how many different types of products are used on natural finish pipes. I have read of some riders using wd40, and I'm sure countless others. I was thinking just a light machine oil. Any thoughts. On a high note my vape ignition arrived today and I have been able to start offering it up to the engine.   :whoop: :celebrate:

sav0r

Mop and Glow is surprisingly effective and incredibly easy. You will have to clean them occasionally, but if you keep the mop and glow on them they will survive pretty well.

Oil burns off, then they are unprotected, and rust will take hold.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

RustyRD

Thanks for the input. I hope they see some heat in the near future from the engine running. :clap: Mapping out ignition now.

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

RustyRD

the engine slowly going back together, and still have more items on the must have list.

RustyRD

Well, took the time today to assemble the top end. Getting closer to installing the engine in the frame for some final fitting. Then frame goes to powder coat and finish triple tree swap.

RustyRD

Daryl
Thanks for the kind words. The rear sets can be mounted to the passenger peg position with a modification to the stock rd mount location. I will attach some before and after pics. The stock passenger mounting location was cut with a cutoff wheel and a die grinder in the center of the two bolt hole locations. I then ground the welds along the bracket and frame tube to allow me to reposition the remainder of the mount tab. I placed a bolt through the rear set retaining the removed tab, and then bolted to the tab still attached to the frame then tacked in place and finish weld. I am more than happy to send additional pics if you need. The stock shift linkage will be to long as is. I will either modify the kawi unit of fab up a new linkage. My first impression is the stock piece can be made to fit by cutting to correct length and cutting new threads. The shifter shaft ninja portion fits shifter shaft of RD. I am happy to send more pics to help if needed.
Russ

RustyRD

The task are getting smaller, and now its time for clutch basket refurb. New dampers and tap bosses for bolts and install clutch.

85RZwade

Good on ya, Russ! You are making nice stuff and great progress.
Wade
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

well tank mounts are complete, and front fender came in today. I am still on the fence about front fender. However it fits the 16" diameter wheel. Oh well at least progress is being made. Performed pressure test on engine with a 1.25 psi drop over a ten minute period with a starting pressure of 6.5 psi. :clap: thank you SUPERTUNE.  Here is my pressure test rig.