Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

id strongly recommend a 17" ex500 wheel.

motor looks great.  :clap:

RustyRD

Thanks for the suggestion, when I get to the point of the bike being motivated under it's own power I can really start to evaluate the wheels and suspension further. I hope the rear monoshock conversion is what I am expecting. If I am pleased with initial results then wheel swap and further suspension upgrades will follow. Thanks for the kind words on the engine. I am so anxious to see all of it in one piece. :whoop: :whoop:

m in sc

I understand, but trust me on this. friend did a swap with the 16 and it was like riding a shopping cart with a wobbly wheel, super sketch at speed, even with a steering damper. you'll be happy with the rear and suspension (even though the arms a mile long)  and brakes & forks in the front though. not being critical, just experience.  :twocents:

RustyRD

Thanks, I sure hope it works out.I did not feel like like you were coming across as critical. I will start doing my wheel search soon. Tire selection is much better with the 17" size. I am curious if there is a difference between the 500 and 250 ninja 17" wheels other than spacer width and style. That means more research on my part.  this us a 30 year update to the suspension and there are bound to be pitfalls. When I have this little RD under its own power the wheel swap will be a difference I can relate to someone else. That is if I don't swap wheels before I ever do a test ride on the current wheels first. I am really starting to get excited about it making to this stage of completion, however it will never really be completed. :vroom: :vroom:

Thanks
Russ

Kawtriplefreak

If memory serves the 250 and 500 EX wheels are the same. Not sure on the forks and spacers. You will like the 17 better.

RustyRD

I have a question for the forum, I plan on running TM32 carbs. Anybody running them and what is your findings? engine- Chuck supertune stg 1 porting, 400 head gasket conversion combustion chamber reworked by supertune, yz85 reed cages and rz350 manifolds, bore 65.25mm, SpecII F1 pipes, vape ignition.

pscook

EX250 and 500 wheels are different, both ends. I swapped from 16" to 17" on my EX250 race bike and the front was a pain as you have to relocate the caliper as the rotors are different diameter and the speedo drive is on the wrong side (rules mandated OEM model forks and swingarm). The rear is very close, but you need to modify the brake caliper bracket and torque arm. A fellow on the WERA boards used to sell the rear caliper bracket modified, I'll see if I can find him for the info. As for the front it's much easier to swap in the entire EX500 front end. I believe that the stem is the same between 250 and 500, so you can just put the entire set up on there. The forks might be longer, but as I never dealt with that end of it I can't say for sure. But I know for a fact that the front wheels and rotors are different.

RustyRD

Thanks
I need to check, if maybe the bolt pattern for the rotors are the same. Possibly just retain the smaller rotor :umm: but still have speedo drive :umm: Sometimes it the trip, rather than the destination :vroom: oh well I am having fun, I think.LOL :whoop: :whoop:

RustyRD

Nearly as good as it gets, new parts showing up on your doorstep :celebrate: Ok so i made the commitment to go with TM32 Mikuni. Look forward to getting the jetting correct.

Czakky

That's what I've got mixing fuel in mine. Also waiting to get jetting sorted.

RustyRD

I will be running premix also, have had some positive input from Chuck that has made me feel good about choosing the TM32. Still more to do before engine goes into frame. The frame still has to have to go to powder coat, and the seat choice has to be made.

RustyRD

OK, so I have been trying to figure out the seat, and have been looking at another old part lying around and looking for a use for it. Being a pack rat is a disease :whistle: maybe... Anyhow I kinda like the way this looks. Cowl off a 78 kz1000 if memory serves me correctly. constructing the seat for this combo will present the next challenge.

Czakky

RustyRD

Thanks for the input, still keeps the old school street bike look.

85RZwade

Oh, hell yeah, that looks good to me
I post waayyy too much