News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Had the chance to work on the RD today, so I prepped the tank and fender for primer. Still need to make a choice of color.

Gil Gallad

being as most people seem to favour the kenny roberts colours, why not the petronas moto gp yamahas from last year? always liked the colour of the petronas turquoise  :haw:
cheers, gil.

m in sc

Quote from: Gil Gallad on September 26, 2021, 07:55:49 AM
being as most people seem to favour the kenny roberts colours, why not the petronas moto gp yamahas from last year? always liked the colour of the petronas turquoise  :haw:
cheers, gil.
HAVE TO AGREE. Yellow and black has been played. to. death.  :ohdear:

RustyRD

I agree, I am leaning to a gunmetal gray and black. I am still looking at different colors and schemes, and a burnt copper is in the running also.

m in sc

if you do gunmetal grey and black, might want to do a thin white outline of any graphics. just spitballing.

RustyRD

Yeah something to give more of a defined line.

RustyRD

well had some time to do a little work on project, weather was great so I took it out, made a gearing change and check jetting, now I want to rework my seat pan. so off into unfamiliar waters again. Gearing was too low, dropped three teeth on rear, not having to try to keep up with rapid shifts.

NoRiders

Looks good...what's the plan with the seat pan?

m in sc

piece of advice on the seat design: make sure the pan doesn't sit flat on the rails all the way along them. support it front and rear at 4 points if you can so it 'gives' a bit riding it, your ass will thank you. 

last one i did i made out of aluminum and used insulated 'p' clamps around the frame tubes at the front and rear and the pan gives about 1/4" before it hits the rail in the middle and its way more comfortable than it should be for a thin seat.

RustyRD

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I thought I would try to use a rubber bumper attached to the pan base. But what comes to mind after you have stated that is, allowing for the height of the bumpers in the overall design. I want to try to take into consideration all the parts needed to keep rework at a minimum. I will be using fiberglass to construct the pan, I have a pan now I just am not real happy with it, I want something that I will not be ashamed to show someone.  :celebrate:

rdshaw

My 2 cents make sure you seat is at least 18" above peg.
I try to get as close 20"  as possible ........I have measured a lot of bikes   I have done 17 a few times and it's too low for hips in .my experience
It doesn't take me 8 hours to do a day's work

RustyRD

Thanks for the info,I will check the distance from seat to pegs, I have on occasions have had the cramp at the hip and have to stretch out my leg to relieve it.  I want to keep foam thickness as thick as possible
For comfort and also keeping looks in mind also. I want to maintain as much comfort as I can for what it is.

NoRiders

My two cents worth....

I used layers of cheap 15mm yoga mat (various thicknesses are available), it's closed cell so resists 'sponging' water and offers a level of comfort even at low profiles such as 30mm. Probably want more depending on your weight and ride duration, but as a maleable material that's relatively easy to work it might do? Even a triple layer is only 45mm and would still offer a low profile seat compared to regular foam.

I fashioned my Suzonda seat pad from 2mm alluminium sheet (it sits on a fibreglass unit, so really only to hold the form of the pad), glued two thicknesses of 15mm yoga mat and worked it with 40 grit to shape it. If it was a rough n ready tracker bike the yoga mat could've been left in it's raw state, but I shaped it for the trimmer to work his magic.

Raw, double layer shaped to some extent. The forward seat/tank area was formed using a cut down ear defender casing to form a mouth to clear the rear tank mount.

Turned out nice swathed in William F1 blue suede with matching tank pad too.

I have a thing about how the seat 'mates' with the tank....so many builds have gash gaps and illfitting seats....they make up a large % of the overall aesthetics and demand thought and pro finishing IMO.

pidjones

On my GL1000 build, I wanted a cafe appearance with GL comfort. A fiberglass GL1000 replica seat pan showed up on ebay and I snatched it up. Layered 1/2" rebond carpet padding in the shape that I desired and had an upholsterer cover it with material I supplied.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

RustyRD

Thanks for the pics and ideas, how was upholstery attached? rivets, glue, staples.