Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

My junk R5

Started by soonerbillz, December 22, 2019, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

Concentrate your effort around where the dowels are, probably where it's hanging.

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on April 20, 2021, 10:11:59 PM
no, that one only threads into the cover not all the way through

As I assumed. Thanks for confirming.

soonerbillz

Quote from: RDFL on April 20, 2021, 10:23:50 PM
Concentrate your effort around where the dowels are, probably where it's hanging.

I want to say I can't believe they used epoxy... but after decades of working on these things nothing surprises me anymore.
Those dowel points are what worries me.  I gave in for the night start fresh this afternoon.

m in sc

on super stuck ones ive had luck -gently- applying pressure at the area where the oil lines go thru , where that rectangular grommet is. its the only non sealing pry pint. just be gentle, use a steady force and try to go smooth, will probably come off. maybe.

RDFL

Quote from: soonerbillz on April 21, 2021, 07:30:43 AM
Quote from: RDFL on April 20, 2021, 10:23:50 PM

I want to say I can't believe they used epoxy... but after decades of working on these things nothing surprises me anymore.
Those dowel points are what worries me.  I gave in for the night start fresh this afternoon.
Lets hope if for some bizarre reason someone did epoxy, they didn't coat both sides of dowels before putting in. I agree would not be strangest thing I've seen on a bike.

m in sc

maybe brush some acetone around the seam to try to soften up whatever they used to stick it on there. 

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on April 21, 2021, 02:17:03 PM
maybe brush some acetone around the seam to try to soften up whatever they used to stick it on there.

Good idea...

Inov8

Quote from: m in sc on April 21, 2021, 02:17:03 PM

I was thinking of something similar, Mark. I would try "bagging it". Pour a small amount of acetone through the oil line opening and then tape a plastic bag around the case just inside the cover-to-case mating surface. Put an ounce or so of acetone in a spray paint cap and seal it up inside the bag. Acetone goes to vapor at relatively low temperatures and should penetrate that thin amount of epoxy. It may take a day or so.
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

soonerbillz

Alright!
The cover finally came loose!  And yeah they used epoxy over a paper gasket  :umm:
I kept tapping the thin scraper and sprayed the acetone on it waiting a couple minutes between hits and it finally popped.
Thankfully nothing cracked or broken.

Thanks Mark for the tip!

soonerbillz

They did such a great job glueing the cover on.. bravo!
.. guess that was most important.. way more than making sure all the clutch bolts were in an tight..

soonerbillz

BTW..
This is Miss Riley..
She is my sweetheart.. and always is with me when wrenching is about.. or treats..
My shop dog deluxe.

soonerbillz

And then they cross threaded the crank nut :clap:
Winning.. it's the only way...

soonerbillz

Quote from: soonerbillz on April 21, 2021, 07:11:03 PM
And then they cross threaded the crank nut :clap:
Winning.. it's the only way...

Talked to John Ritter last night after sending him this pic.
He says it's screwed. Either replace the crank end or the whole thing is the only fix.  :cry:

RDFL

At least unlike 400's should be easy and not too expensive to find one.

m in sc

you can stuff a vitos crank in it as well. rd 250/350 compatible. options and all.