Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD...what wheels?

Started by 85RZwade, January 04, 2020, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

I have a '75 RD350 that came to my doorstep needing a home, and I struggle with saying NO when it's an old friend (R.I.P. Dennis, I hope you're watching!) of my dad's and the price is $0. Typical story: all there but long out of use, with pistons which had become one with their cylinders, gummed-up carbs, rock-hard tires and a tank that looked lovely...on the outside.
In keeping with my policy of trying to use what I've got, I'm assessing options for wheels and suspension:

I read about Richard Pollack (sp?) of Mule Motorcycles using these Kawasaki wheels on his 'tracker customs because they're cheap and look like old Morris mags at a glance. Forks look like tree trunks, at least compared to the RD's...but the chrome is pitted, and it just got expensive. Also, the wheel is 19", so tire options limited, I'd have to BUY another wheel and brake and I'm not going in a 'tracker direction with this (as much as I like them).

'78 CB550K has a little wider front rim than the RD, but it's steel and also 19". Forks are a little beefier, but that leading-caliper look leaves me limp, and it's single-piston (I know, tech snob).

Matching Honda rear wheel is, I think, a tad wider than the RD item (but, again, steel) and 18". I'm just about talked into going drum instead of disc out back, and this has a nice, big old-school looking unit...but is it much different than:

this crusty old devil, to which I'd want to lace a wider, aluminum rim anyway? What else is around here  :umm:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner here! 1983 TZ250 running gear has the much-preferred spokes with wide aluminum rims, disc brakes (Brembo calipers up front, I sold the rear caliper so will need something back there), an aluminum swingarm, stout forks with good chrome and a tasty set of triple clamps.

So, yes, I'm looking at a dual- to single shock conversion, no cush drive in the rear hub, no speedometer drive in the front hub, possible if not probable re-springing of the forks, steering head bearing challenges and I expect you fine folks will advise me what else.
Thoughts from the masses? I welcome your input, and reserve the right to charge headlong in a foolish direction heedless of thoughtful, logical and educated advice. Let's do this thing!
Wade
I post waayyy too much