Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Partzilla has seemed to have some of the lower prices on oe parts.

85RZwade

Russ, Partzilla has my number for sure!
I have been acquiring parts for this build lately, and mulling over some decisions, such as rebuild vs. replace crankshaft, or just run the one I have. Most of you will approve of my decision:

New assembly from Norbo via a member on the RD/RZ site. Bottom end cleaning and assembly can begin, and then I can figure out what to do with my cylinders...and head...
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I have been pipe dreaming of late. Still like the look of these RG chambers for their chunky, almost-original-TZ look:

Tried these old Lomas pipes on for giggles; they're destined for my 2nd RZ350 project, and I think that's a better place for them. Ugh.

To be fair, I hung them pretty hastily, so the (Toomey) silencers are cattywampus instead of parallel. Just not the look I'm after.
I picked these DGs up last year from Whymee over on the RZ/RD site without a clear plan for them. They're in excellent condition and I think they look good on the LC, so I plan to use them first as a somewhat known quantity for initial tuning and ballpark jetting.

I see a lot of difference in overall length. My thought is to use OEM LC headpipes married to the RG chambers, so I need to re-read some expansion chamber theory to see if some additional length would be desirable. Maybe I'll find that the Suzuki pipes aren't suitable at all!
I post waayyy too much

busa1300

Here is a set in Japan
Pretty cheap at the moment

A little worse for wear for sure.
This version no longer used the RD/RZ style cases, but was TZ only so port angle is probably slightly different.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d512276621
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

Jspooner

I think the DG RZ pipes look the best but I'm thinking they won't work very well because they are for a YPVS engine.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

^ I agree.  Never been a fan of the looooooooooooooong stingers on those JL's.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

RDFL

Quote from: pdxjim on April 25, 2021, 10:51:10 PM
^ I agree.  Never been a fan of the looooooooooooooong stingers on those JL's.
Those should be called hoses.

85RZwade

Randy, I actually have (most) of a 1983 TZ250, which donated the wheels, brakes and suspension to this project. I never thought to try it's pipes on this build... I keep my pipes hanging from a truss in the barn usually. A couple of years ago, I took the TZ pipes down to take some pictures and neglected to put them back. You can probably guess where this is going. MICE made themselves at home in one, and the next time I picked it up, one side stayed put with a big 'ol mouse-house on top. Giant rust hole. They're well-used, welded many times and I paid relatively little for them, but I was so pissed at myself that I hung what was left and haven't looked at them since.
Joe, I wonder the same thing. I've read multiple places that RZ pipes fit LCs, and the ones I have more or less do, but they're not the same engine, just similar. Maybe eventually I'll get out the big wallet and put a sweet set of Tygas or some such on her.
Et tu, Jim?  :huh:
Finally,...hoses?! :tough:
**they were THE SHIT in 1998, you know**
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

(as I understand it) RZ port timing is quite a bit different than LC/aircooled, and RZ pipes don't really perform well on the older non-YPVS cyls.

I only have the bitchin' stainless Garrett pipes on my LC (which were designed for aircooled port timing, so should work well on LC) because he made me a deal I couldn't refuse.  No way else can I afford anything this nice.

... and don't feel bad, everyone (except me)hates the low pipes on my TDR.  :whoop:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

try to reach out to gary at specII. i'd be willing to bet hes made a set of pipes to fit that combo... . Im serious. worth a shot.  :twocents:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

teazer

That's a nice looking LC, but first gear must be a PIA to ride. Early 750 top end is really tame and easy to ride if it sits on top on a 400 transmission.

Fondseca had dry clutch covers with kickstarter boss and long input shaft to take 400 gears.  Our RD350 has RD crankcases and wet clutch, TZ350 crank, TZ750 top end and clutch cover modified to accept a TZ water pump. 

85RZwade

This build is NOT dead; I met with Garrett of GRA Two Strokes Friday night and he now has my cylinders and head on which to work magic. We of course discussed his pipes for this project, and I'm considering it for sure.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

After most of a work day in the hot parts washer, going around and around, they're pretty clean.

But there's still some work to do...

Debating with myself whether to paint the cases or not. Does anyone know if a portable sand blaster can be used with soda? It was suggested to me that it's just a matter of a different tip in the gun.
I post waayyy too much