Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

I know Banshees have them. They go between the gear and stock basket probably to stop metal on metal contact. Some people call them grabber gaskets.

85RZwade

Split the cases this weekend...

No bad news, other than the sludge in the sump.

Really happy to see the forks in good shape! A little more disassembly and it's bath time
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I'm going to need to carry fuel on this machine, and I have this fine SOHC CB750 unit. It seems to sit reasonably well on the frame, but it's kind of, well...BIG. I could look forward to long rides w/o stopping for gas! Thoughts?
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 31, 2020, 09:33:55 AM

I'm going to need to carry fuel on this machine, and I have this fine SOHC CB750 unit. It seems to sit reasonably well on the frame, but it's kind of, well...BIG. I could look forward to long rides w/o stopping for gas! Thoughts?

Well........if you want a Honda CB750 gas tank on your TZ replica then go for it  :umm:
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

NoRiders

Hey Wade, just jumped on to your build thread....nice work so far...along similar lines to my own Suzonda project in that a classic frame is engine swapped with modernised running gear :) the term 'great minds' echoes in my head.

Re: the tank....let's see it on the frame to scale it.....it all depends on what you're trying to achieve as the end result....a bitsa or replica, like Spoony stated I guess?

pdxjim

That Honda tank looks short and fat.

I think a longer, leaner tank might fit the chassis a bit better?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

You're all correct, thank you. I'm all for the bitsa, use-what-you've-got approach, and the 750 tank is on hand...but I don't like it for this project either. I agree with Jim that a longer, TD2-style tank would be more fitting. I also do not want to copy anyone else's ride too closely (Joe, Mark). I'm wary of any old tank, and of the new tanks out of India, having seen the video of the Indian tank cut open. Love the GFTP stuff, but I need to find a more affordable option than new fiberglass.
I'm toying with the idea of making my own seat unit of fiberglass and have a shape in mind, which might influence the shape of the fuel tank I use. I'll keep looking...anybody want to buy a CB750 tank?
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 01, 2020, 01:02:45 AM
You're all correct, thank you. I'm all for the bitsa, use-what-you've-got approach, and the 750 tank is on hand...but I don't like it for this project either. I agree with Jim that a longer, TD2-style tank would be more fitting. I also do not want to copy anyone else's ride too closely (Joe, Mark). I'm wary of any old tank, and of the new tanks out of India, having seen the video of the Indian tank cut open. Love the GFTP stuff, but I need to find a more affordable option than new fiberglass.
I'm toying with the idea of making my own seat unit of fiberglass and have a shape in mind, which might influence the shape of the fuel tank I use. I'll keep looking...anybody want to buy a CB750 tank?

Don't worry about copying my bike. There are other tanks that will fit and look decent. Not sure of the year but the XS500 (76-78? I think) had a coffin style tank that looks decent, also the XS360 was similar, maybe even the same tank for all I know. If it were me I would not use that CB tank on anything.

m in sc

economan

Yep, a "spoon" full of smart ass remarks is just what the Dr. ordered. :clap:  We are here to help in the most polite way possible.
PC correctness be damned.
That CB tank belongs on a CB cause it is trying to cover over 4 cylinders instead of 2.
I don't think that tank looks short and fat, it is just big boned.  :eek:
P.S. Good luck trying to copy Spooner's Hybrid. That Picasso is a piece of rolling,wheeling, hauling ass work of art. :vroom:
Yes, please use the TZ/TD etc. style of tank.

RDFL

Someone put CBX250 bodywork on RD looks good. being so close to Canada might be able to find some cheap. --- 

pdxjim

^ That does look good.

Hopefully by the time you'll be needing a tank, the current "situation" will have loaned up and you can hit the breakers and see what's available for cheap.

These guys are right by me:  https://www.cycleheap.com/   I can get you in there to poke around. 👍
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

:wave:The people have spoken, I will remove the CB tank immediately (it's just sitting on the RD frame trying to look better). Thanks for the advice, opinions and encouragement, gents. Going to have to spend a day in Portland with Jim...someday, when I can cross the river again.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 01, 2020, 09:06:45 PM
I found the perfect tank already!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS360-XS400-Fuel-Tank-XS-360-400-Gas-Tank/114164455613?hash=item1a94bb58bd:g:7r4AAOSwIlBeg4QY

Have I mentioned that I work at a JD dealership?

Good choice. This is my first RD I built when I was in high school. That is an XS500 gas tank.  Built it in 84-85 and sold it in 86 to buy the new FZ600.