Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

economan

Another, RD/LC/TZ   (see title subject)   Should be interesting.  :vroom:

85RZwade

That's right, I like most TZ and TD tanks, but of course they're silly expensive. Looking at street bike tanks that have a length and angularity reminiscent of the TZ/TD style and was put onto the XS400. I was kidding about the black tank with the John Deere sticker because I work on Deeres for a living, but it might be an option.
I post waayyy too much

teazer

How about stretching an RD400 tanks.  Brad J did that a while ago and it looked good. 

Or a fiberglass TZ replica.  Not quite the same as a genuine TZ tank but a whole lot more affordable.  It would have to be sealed before use though.  Ethanol in fuel and polyester resin don't peacefully coexist.

pdxjim

Wade, remind us again why you're using the RD chassis instead of the LC chassis?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

1) seems like more fun bringing different components together
2) I have a title for the RD, no paperwork for the LC
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Will that TZ swingarm bolt right into the LC chassis? 
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I don't know yet, but I am filled with witless optimism! Wouldn't it be great if it just slotted in there like it was made for that frame? Yamaha has done stranger things. My best-case scenario is I "just" have to make an upper shock mount. Worst case...
Pretty much at a stopping point with the engine since I can't get the cylinders and crankshaft evaluated. I can clean, rebuild the clutch basket, put the LC-RD case hybrid in the frame and get started on engine mounts, figure out steering head bearings, etc. I have a seat/tail design that I like, and I might try to make it out of fiberglass. I have lots of wood for a form from which to make a mold. How hard can it be?
Washington just got another month of stay-at-home and things are definitely slowing at work already; I think it's a matter of time before I'll be cooped up like all the rest. The CFO is worrying about $$, so my project budget has been slashed accordingly.
Who was the racer who said, after engine failure(s) in practice for Daytona (?) that his race strategy was "to ride this thing just as hard as I can without using the engine"? That's where I am.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

This forum needs a "like" button.

NoRiders

Quote from: pdxjim on April 03, 2020, 01:47:44 AM

I'd argue no to a 'Like' button....they reduce comments, which is the only plus for forums these days....likes are far too easy to dish out and therefore devalue input to a single click n move on. Another forum I'm on has introduced them.....I get likes but no comments....I have FB for likes, Forum for proper communication.
What forums need is more text comment and image input...engagement is key or forums will die out completely IMO.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: NoRiders on April 03, 2020, 06:22:21 AM

I'd argue no to a 'Like' button....they reduce comments, which is the only plus for forums these days....likes are far too easy to dish out and therefore devalue input to a single click n move on. Another forum I'm on has introduced them.....I get likes but no comments....I have FB for likes, Forum for proper communication.
What forums need is more text comment and image input...engagement is key or forums will die out completely IMO.

No comment.

NoRiders

Quote from: pdxjim on April 03, 2020, 11:33:28 AM

No comment.

:clap:

m in sc

NoRiders

Well, that other forum has responded to my polite discussion point in their 'chat room' and removed the 'Like' button. Let's see how it goes.
I response I pledge to comment a lot more....hopefully, not just shootin'shit either ;)